• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Well it seems that hypocrisy knows no bounds when it comes to political parties.

I would have great respect for Farage if he didn't come out with the same rhetoric on tax avoidance as everyone else.
    They're all cut from the same cloth. That said, I wonder is it worth contacting them to see what their line is, not on tax avoidance, but on retro tax whether it's us or DOTAS. I suspect that he'd relish the opportunity to make it look like Cameron and co and screwing over small businesses while sitting down to dinner with the big corporations. He's not afraid to take the controversial line. It could make for an interesting public debate, and it would be someone who can't be easily shut up and marginalised they way that they can do to us simply by sticking the evil tax avoider label on us, knowing we have no public voice that can match the Governments. There's votes in sticking up for the little guy against HMRC where there's a perception that bullying has been involved.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
      That was well-timed, lol! The comments are interesting though, they are very much in his favour and lots of people stressing that what he was done was entirely legal. Maybe the tide is starting to turn in the PR battle with HMRC / Government and it's their hypocrisy that is starting to show through. I wonder if he has a DOTAS number tucked away somewhere.
      Comments cannot be trusted as public opinion. The average contractor-PSC person on CUK is quite likely to comment, because they have a vested interest in the situation and understand the situation.

Same as if a TV chat show has a phone in "should weed be legalised"... those in favour are going to have a much higher "turn out rate" phoning in because they're championing their cause.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Comments cannot be trusted as public opinion. The average contractor-PSC person on CUK is quite likely to comment, because they have a vested interest in the situation and understand the situation.

Same as if a TV chat show has a phone in "should weed be legalised"... those in favour are going to have a much higher "turn out rate" phoning in because they're championing their cause.
        Wow! Did you work that out all by yourself?

My point is that there are others out there voicing there opinion, not that 95% of the population are on our side.

Comment

Wow! Did you work that out all by yourself?

My point is that there are others out there voicing there opinion, not that 95% of the population are on our side.
          No it wasn't. You suggested the "tide was starting to turn". It's not. If anything, it's still building in opposition of anyone who doesn't pay "full tax" - whatever that is supposed to mean.

Comment

No it wasn't. You suggested the "tide was starting to turn". It's not. If anything, it's still building in opposition of anyone who doesn't pay "full tax" - whatever that is supposed to mean.
            Really? And you have empirical proof or are you just trolling again? You have an opinion, that's all.

Comment

...and that includes us Limited Company contractors too. The Government has already started to tar such users with the avoidance brush. There will be little appetite in the press to defend any form of avoidance - and from a a public perception perspective that will include your big standard contractor.

Comment

Really? And you have empirical proof or are you just trolling again? You have an opinion, that's all.
                My opinion would be the same as d000hg's but as I've continually stated on the threads look at who is pushing these rules through (the government are agreeing to everything HMRC ask for and may well be encouraging them to be more ruthless).
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It means not running a Ltd company, paying a £10k minimum salary and the rest in dividends.

"Fair share of tax" is double-speak for "maximum tax".

P.S. I wish people would keep their noses out of this thread who have nothing at stake. You know... simple things... like home, family, health, life.
                  Last edited by SantaClaus; 3 April 2014, 11:37.
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    It means not running a Ltd company, paying a £10k minimum salary and the rest in dividends.

"Fair share of tax" is double-speak for "maximum tax".

P.S. I wish people would keep their noses out of this thread who have nothing at stake. You know... simple things... like home, family, health, life.
                    I only posted about Farage's tax affairs because they have nothing to do with BN66/S58 and are a tangent. I no longer comment on those issues for fear of mod reprisals.

I'll leave you to yourselves again.

Comment

I only posted about Farage's tax affairs because they have nothing to do with BN66/S58 and are a tangent. I no longer comment on those issues for fear of mod reprisals.

I'll leave you to yourselves again.
                      There's the door.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X