• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zac Goldsmith

NoToRetroTaxBriefingNote20April2012.pdf
    I009- HMRC knew about the scheme for 14 years.pdf
    G002-Jane Kennedy transcript 2008 and rebuttals.doc
    K017-Section 58 Impact Assessment.htm
    H006-HMRC contradictions re dates.pdf
    A005-Rebuttal to April 2012 HMRC Reply.doc
    N002-David Gauke Quotes.doc

This is the information I sent him. I have also sent him the Guake transcript before.
    Good Luck.

Comment

IR35 Again

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
      Direct quote from HMRC's latest IR35 guidance doc:

"IR35 is tax and National Insurance contributions (NIC) legislation which prevents people who use intermediaries from being better off than they would have been if their end clients had employed them directly."

So now we know it's true purpose: nothing to do with tax collection, just to prevent people from being better off. The state institutions in this country just seem determined to stigmatise ambition, success and entrepreneurism, and to put obstacles in their way!! FFS!
      The fact is it makes us worse of, Paying Employers NI + no benefits + no training + no paid holidays + no paid sick leave + no pension + no health benefits + no redundancy pay etc etc etc...
      How can they be so contrived! - Oh yes they've never worked in the REAL world and are facists.
      I think their goal is to kill Contracting, entrepreneurs, ambition, highly skilled workforce and freedom in the way we work - just what the UK needs right now RIGHT? NO!!!! Last skilled worker left switch off the lights!
      Why are the clients not fighting for us - if there was no need for contractors they wouldn't exist, considering the forms we now have to sign to prove that we're not employee's at the client side and then have delusional HMRC saying that we are hmmm caught between a rock and a hard place.
      Sorry to rant....Very sore topic when you've paid for years!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
        Welcome! An important first step. "We're all in this together" is a phrase mocked except when applied to us. One of the most valuable things you can contribute is to engage with your MP. Not just a letter but go see them. The campaign website is a serious rally point loaded with good information. HMRC seemed to have us on the back foot for a while, but not now.
        Yes I will be setting up a meeting and also will be joining the campaign. I want to make sure I am set up with all the right information and language for the meeting. Happy to start a dialogue if you want to PM me
        Your campaign needs you! Take action and join NoToRetroTax now!

Comment

Meeting with MP

Am off to meet my MP at 16:30 who is a prominent Cabinet Minister so I am not exactly expecting his full co-operation!

However the main thrust of my argument is going to be the Conservatives postion whilst in opposition and in particular David Gauke's continual denial to do anything but rebut our questions since he joined the Treasury.

Specifically I want him to support me in getting Mr Gauke to acknowledge our position and review our argument. Given that their position was so crystal clear whilst in opposition I am not going to accept being fobbed off with "the times have changed"

Now where did I put my suit of armour and war hammer.........

Comment

Originally posted by foolishboy View Post
            Am off to meet my MP at 16:30 who is a prominent Cabinet Minister so I am not exactly expecting his full co-operation!

However the main thrust of my argument is going to be the Conservatives postion whilst in opposition and in particular David Gauke's continual denial to do anything but rebut our questions since he joined the Treasury.

Specifically I want him to support me in getting Mr Gauke to acknowledge our position and review our argument. Given that their position was so crystal clear whilst in opposition I am not going to accept being fobbed off with "the times have changed"

Good luck. You never know he could support our cause!

Comment

I would ask if HMRC came along today with the same circumstances as 2008 but the minister was aware of all the facts, would he vote for such an act? would he say, Rees rules should apply? why did George Osbourne give a warning about stamp duty and say any new avoidance schemes would be closed retrospective to this year, why not say 10 years ago?

good luck.

Comment

If you get this in time dont forget to mention the fact that the legislation was brought in and is continually justified by MPs, judges, HMRC etc by thinking we were all warned this could happen all along. We werent. That is a lie. We had no reason to think they could do this. I have 2 reasons to support this:
                1/ The evidence is there in HMRC letters
                2/ I really didnt. I am not lying. If I had known I would not have joined.

Good luck !
                http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

You may also wish to point out that a Cabinet Minister is also raising the "boilerplate" letter issue with Gauke. I would also ask for their advice on how he/she feels about Parliament being misled on a matter such as retrospective legislation.

Comment

Big News...

...The suspense is killing me
                    http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
                      ...The suspense is killing me

Comment

Working...
                      X