• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elpinar View Post
    and is there a time limit for closure notices ? or just as long as the first letter came
    There are no time limit for closure notices.

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
      Can we go to the HMRC investications unit and doorstep them - both me and my mussis have a few strong words for induviduals behind this whole sorry saga

I am supprised they still have their jobs
      First sign I have seen that anyone apart from me is up for a demonstration. Anyone else?

Alas to make your point you can't just argue at a distance. You have to get personal with people. I always suspected that the NTRT political campaign was doomed to failure - the tactics were just totally wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        PS. if HMRC have not already opened an enquiry into any year you were in the scheme then they're too late to do it now.

It's your money they're after so get checking!
        Agreed. They opened an enquiry into me for 07/08 and then one day I got a letter saying they wanted a boat load of tax for 06/07...but they'd never opened an enquiry into that tax period...so I wrote to them explaining this and asking them to dismiss the 06/07 charge because I never had an enquiry notice...and they did

Sadly 07/08 is still open - got my pre-APN the other day

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          Just be aware, the clock for them to make enquiries starts from the date you submit your return for that year, its not automatically the end of Jan. I thought they were out of date for one of mine but they pointed out for that specific year I didnt file by the end of Jan and their clock to send the enquiry started from April as that was my delayed SA filing.
          That's generally correct. In fact though I think if you are late filing, then they have 18 months from the date of filing.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

also i think it is fair to assume that if the filing date was 31 jan, and mont p filed all our tax returns, that they did it on that day to innundate them ..... and not a day before

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            That's generally correct. In fact though I think if you are late filing, then they have 18 months from the date of filing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              First sign I have seen that anyone apart from me is up for a demonstration. Anyone else?

Alas to make your point you can't just argue at a distance. You have to get personal with people. I always suspected that the NTRT political campaign was doomed to failure - the tactics were just totally wrong.
              The key ingredient of any public protest is public support. We will be painted as rich tax avoiders by the press and any sort of public protest will harm our cause.

I always said that the only way for this to be defeated was if it was quietly swept under the rug. In heindsight I believe that the lobbying of MPs and attempts to publicise the retro issue have hurt our chances of success. But that is my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
                I always said that the only way for this to be defeated was if it was quietly swept under the rug.
                I'll take your word for it that you always said that.

It is naive to think this was ever going to be quietly swept under the rug. If it hadn't been for the legal action (JR) undertaken by Montpelier, HMRC would have implemented S58 and enforced collection years ago.

Comment

Whatever you think, in hindsight, about the futility of the lobbying campaign, if it hadn't been for NTRT we wouldn't have George.

He only approached us because he admired what we were trying to do for people affected by S58.

Comment

Without DR and me fighting all comers on CUK there would have been no NTRT.

I have offered several times to use my NVDA experience and contacts - there is clearly no appetite for it. I am preparing to go it alone. I can be accused of hysteria - but those posting such claims so look at my past and reconsider.

Out of interest I received an email from WG. I know he reads my posts (Hi WG ).

Based on his comments I am going to ask Montpelier to appeal my APN if/when it arrives. WG made some very powerful comments. I have not shared the email with anyone nor will I. The issues apply purely to me - and would do no-one else any good atall.

EDIT : It now looks like NTRT has an important role to play in the forthcoming legal action. And this could require some funding.
                    Last edited by BrilloPad; 5 March 2015, 10:37.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      It now looks like NTRT has an important role to play in the forthcoming legal action. And this could require some funding.
                      NTRT only continue to exist as a result of the funding by its members. A regular standing order no matter how small provides them with some ability to forecast their fighting fund and also in the long run provides (on average) more income than occasional dollops of largesse.

Do it. Set up the SO and invest in the team that is actually, measurably making a difference. You can't do anything on your own and will be picked off by Hector as a soft target if you don't engage.

Just sayin'.

Comment

Working...
                      X