• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tried joining but can't access the sign up page. Probably busy so will try later.

Bumped into my MP today (Steve Pound, Lab, Ealing North). He hasn't replied to my letter so I collared him about that. He says he hasn't received it and to be honest he probably hasn't as he's always been fairly prompt in his replies to earlier letters. I'll shove it through his letterbox, as 'twere, a bit later as he lives nearby.

His view was that although BN66 allows HMRC to collect retrospective tax, they never actually would do that to individuals in reality. When I brought him up to speed his reply was "no, no, that's not right at all".

Anyway, I'll get the letter off to him and get together with him when I receive a reply.

Comment

First installment paypal'd too

Originally posted by swede View Post
      Paid gladly. Good work, folks.
      Fantastic job, well done. So very impressed.

Hey Hector, better start sh1tting yourself now....
      Lord Clyde in 1929: ‘No man is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores. The Revenue is not slow to take every advantage which is open to it under the taxing statutes for the purpose of depleting the taxpayer’s pocket. And the taxpayer is entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Revenue.’

Comment

I'm in!

Superb work chaps! Registered and made an initial donation.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffia View Post
          When I brought him up to speed his reply was "no, no, that's not right at all".
          There is another Labour MP who said pretty much the same thing to a constituent last week.

See if you can guess who.

Hint: white hair, black eyebrows.

Comment

Originally posted by OneUnited View Post
            At last some positive action – well done to everyone concerned. I’m going to get my credit card out.

On another note …….

Had Face to Face with MP today, he seemed genuinely concerned about the retrospective part of s58 and has asked our friend? DG for a response regarding his position when in opposition and his current stance. We did impress upon him that DG was giving out standard responses written by HMRC, and we didn’t think there was much mileage in this process but nonetheless he does appear to be sympathetic to our plight.

We passed on copies of relevant documents relating to 1987 and 2008 in particular the debate attempting to amend the retrospective part of S58 in which it is quite clear from the transcript that several MPs of different political stances were vociferously against the retrospective element and included in that set of voices was DG. Our MP thought that this in particular was an ‘Achilles heel’ which may be exploited. He said he would read them all to try and get a better understanding of this complicated matter. Without question he agreed that people should be able to arrange their tax affairs according to the law as it stands and not as in this case where the law was changed retrospectively.

The other thing he said he could do is to try and speak to other MPs who have constituents in the same situation who have contacted them regarding this and to this end he asked if there were any others in Scotland. Could anyone PM me if they have spoken to their MP in Scotland and who it is please? I said I would pass the names of the MPs on to him if I could find out this information, the more the better.

Have a good weekend everyone - we're just off to the pub
            I don't seem to be able to PM but I have written to my MP in Scotland twice (Jim Hood).

The reply to my first letter was the standard one from Gauke.

I have since sent another letter but have not yet had a response on this.

Comment

That George Osborne interview in India!

Just watched the video clip of the Chancellor's interview V001 (UK apos;s Osborne says India should have predictable tax system - YouTube) with amazement that even as being brilliantly cornered about the retrospective tax in India and in the UK, he still went on and on like a politician with huge integrity (NOT)!!!!

:-)

Comment

I'm in...

Just paid up. Fantastic work you guys behind it all.... Have contacted Whitehouse as advised, about following up my letters to Cameron, as he is my MP. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by nick4notax View Post
                  Fantastic job, well done. So very impressed.

Hey Hector, better start sh1tting yourself now....
                  I hope we at least ruined his weekend
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Awesome!

DR and all the guys who have put this together...we are most grateful for all your efforts. I will be subscribing soon. Thanks again

Comment

Scottish MP

Originally posted by OneUnited View Post
                      At last some positive action – well done to everyone concerned. I’m going to get my credit card out.

On another note …….

The other thing he said he could do is to try and speak to other MPs who have constituents in the same situation who have contacted them regarding this and to this end he asked if there were any others in Scotland. Could anyone PM me if they have spoken to their MP in Scotland and who it is please? I said I would pass the names of the MPs on to him if I could find out this information, the more the better.

Have a good weekend everyone - we're just off to the pub
                      Michael Weir (SNP) - Have been in touch a few times but have not spoken to him face to face

Comment

Working...
                      X