• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard from Ruth at tiger aspect. No broadcast date for their documentary yet.

Comment

Online portal

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      No, there isnt any detail on when notices were sent, you can just see the tax years and amounts.
      When I look in the portal I can see each tax year. But there is no indication that I have any tax years open? However I have got an enquiry for two of the years. Those years look like all the other years except the numbers are slightly different.

A bit frustrating as I would like to know if the other 2 years have enquiries but I don't want to ask HMRC directly. Any ideas?

Comment

I've 3 years with enquiries open, but only one of them (09/10) shows as anything owed online (suspended on appeal). The others are 'in scope' for me I'm sure, but just not showing as such online. The 09/10 year I was specifically sent a letter/bill for - the other two years were just the enquiry letter at the time and, many years later, nothing else since. (This is all for EBT though, if that matters in this respect)

Comment

Discovery enquiry and closure.

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          Discovery is when they are late. (Nothing to do with late filing)
          Sorry I know you have posted loads on this!

If a Discovery is opened do they still need to send an formal "opening enquiry" letter before they can send a closure notice?

So I read this (from DR) but not sure if it's different if they open a discovery.

"For each year you were in the scheme, HMRC should have sent
          you:
          1) a letter opening an enquiry
          2) a Closure Notice (CN)

CNs are only valid if they apply to a year you were actually in the scheme and HMRC opened an enquiry for that year.

Likewise for APNs."
          Last edited by Ooops; 10 March 2015, 21:45. Reason: More detail

Comment

Online portal

Originally posted by PeterF View Post
            I've 3 years with enquiries open, but only one of them (09/10) shows as anything owed online (suspended on appeal). The others are 'in scope' for me I'm sure, but just not showing as such online. The 09/10 year I was specifically sent a letter/bill for - the other two years were just the enquiry letter at the time and, many years later, nothing else since. (This is all for EBT though, if that matters in this respect)
            I see. So that means you can't tell from the online portal which years HMRC are alleging have an enquiry. Therefore if they opened an enquiry but the letter got lost I wouldn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by the gallows View Post

I see. So that means you can't tell from the online portal which years HMRC are alleging have an enquiry. Therefore if they opened an enquiry but the letter got lost I wouldn't know.
              If there are enquiries open and they have issued closure notices the tax years will show monies owing for those tax years. If you have enquiries open but no closure notices then the portal will not show you this.

Comment

This thread is continued here:
                http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...58-fa2008.html

Comment

Working...
                X