• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charge for creating own website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charge for creating own website

Hi all,

I'm a one man Ltd, can I charge the company for creating my own website, therefore saving a little on corporation tax?

Originally posted by jsnetman View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a one man Ltd, can I charge the company for creating my own website, therefore saving a little on corporation tax?
    Don't believe so. If you hire an external consultant, maybe. But if you DIY, you can't charge your company, unless you declare the income via Self Assessment, in which case you are liable to pay 20% income tax, and depending on how much you are bringing in via self employment, you may be liable to pay National Insurance Contributions.
    Last edited by pmeswani; 30 April 2012, 09:37. Reason: Removed the word don't. Anomoly.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Simple answer is yes.

If you want to register as self employed. Or you could just pay yourself a salary - which is the same. Oh and go get an accountant.

Being both employed and self employed by the same company is just a whole new level of stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        Simple answer is yes.

If you want to register as self employed. Or you could just pay yourself a salary - which is the same. Oh and go get an accountant.
        WHS
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Don't believe so. If you hire an external consultant, maybe. But if you DIY, you don't can't charge your company, unless you declare the income via Self Assessment, in which case you are liable to pay 20% income tax, and depending on how much you are bringing in via self employment, you may be liable to pay National Insurance Contributions.
          Exactly - it's in one hand and out the other.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            Exactly - it's in one hand and out the other.
            Ooooeerrr missus.. We will have none of that in the Prof forums!!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Ooooeerrr missus.. We will have none of that in the Prof forums!!

I'm sure I don't know what you mean!
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Oh well

It was a nice thought while it lasted.

Comment

But you could make it cash in hand, right?

Just think... the added business risk would take you outside IR35, so win-win.

Comment

Originally posted by jsnetman View Post
                    It was a nice thought while it lasted.
                    No it wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X