• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mileage claim on split journeys

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage claim on split journeys

Hi all, just found this forum via Google and figured it would be the best place to ask my question.

I am a contractor with a shiny new limited company who lives in a town with rubbish rail links, it takes me an hour by train to get to the nearest well-connected station but only 20 minutes to drive to a different one. So I'll be getting a lift to the station from my better half, who will drive home as I continue to work by train.

My question is, am I allowed to claim for her return journey if she's not employed by my limited company?

For bonus points: If I do put her on the books, can I claim for both ways plus the extra 5p per mile for myself?

To be honest with you it sounds more trouble that it is worth? Putting your wife on your books for 5p a mile?

Is it all really worth it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You are JoJoGabor and I claim my 10 sheets of man size tissue...

Exact same question here..

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...car-usage.html

Comment

Originally posted by bitplane View Post
        I am a contractor with a shiny new limited company who lives in a town with rubbish rail links, it takes me an hour by train to get to the nearest well-connected station but only 20 minutes to drive to a different one. So I'll be getting a lift to the station from my better half, who will drive home as I continue to work by train.

My question is, am I allowed to claim for her return journey if she's not employed by my limited company?
        In essence you want to use your OH as a taxi service.

Would it be better for your relationship just to book a taxi instead of getting her out of bed everyday just to drive you to the train station?

There is a certain element of goodwill in running any business particularly with those who you are close to who help you out in hard times.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You are JoJoGabor and I claim my 10 sheets of man size tissue...

Exact same question here..

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...car-usage.html
          No he's not! I'll have those tissues back, unsoiled please.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
            No he's not! I'll have those tissues back, unsoiled please.
            Meh....

Comment

Well, it won't be every day, she's dropping me off on a Monday and picking me up on a Friday. The difference for the return journey is about fifty quid a month.

I've been using an umbrella for the past 5 years and given the tax man several pounds of flesh, this time around I intend to claim everything I'm due no matter how much hassle it is.

Comment

Well, it won't be every day, she's dropping me off on a Monday and picking me up on a Friday. The difference for the return journey is about fifty quid a month.

I've been using an umbrella for the past 5 years and given the tax man several pounds of flesh, this time around I intend to claim everything I'm due no matter how much hassle it is.
                Do you think the taxman cares if you're driving or whether your wife is driving, for the sake of £50 a month? Just claim the mileage and move on!

And there are many more consequences of putting your wife on the books - you'll need to do a lot more research to make sure it's worthwhile.

Comment

Does your wife have any other income? If not, set her up with shares in the company and do an income split if you aren't doing that already....
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

There's no reason why the mileage for the journey to the train station on a Monday and journey back from the train station on Friday cannot be claimed providing the site where you're working is a temporary work place (24 month rule etc). Presumably you've taken advice on whether you can claim the train travel. If you're claiming that then you can claim the mileage too.

The return leg where your wife taxi's herself back home without you is probably not claimable though!

Comment

Working...
                    X