• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goodwill amortisation and state pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodwill amortisation and state pension

Hi, I have two questions regarding the incorporation of my dental practice:

1) If I take a minimum salary (of £7,000 approx), and the rest as dividens I will not be entitled to the state pension when I retire as I will not have paid any NIC, is this true?

2) When I incorporate I will sell my goodwill (essentially my patient base) to the company, and then look to amortise this figure over a 5 year period-would this be seen as too aggressive by HMRC?

Many thanks Guys

On average how long do you keep a client for? If its 10 years maybe that would be a better figure.

You might as well at least take £8100 as salary to use up your full tax code, this will also net you some NI credits for the pension but you won't actually pay an NI or PAYE.

Comment

The absolute minimum figure for a years pension credit is about 7488 from memory. Though in general as sp suggests an amount equivalent to the normal tax allowance is probably just easier.

There are some rules around amortisation and goodwill acquisition. Obviously the clients have value, talking to your accountant would be very sensible.

Comment

Working...
      X