• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Entrepreneurs Relief Calculation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entrepreneurs Relief Calculation

I'm after some clarification on the Entrepreneurs Relief Calculation for 2011/12.

I've claimed this before and the calculation involved deducting 4/9 of the capital as Entrepreneurs Relief, then deducting one's personal yearly allowance ... with the remainder being subject to CGT at the normal rate (18% then). However, some searches indicate that for 2012, assuming no other capital gains liabilities, then it is just a straight (capital - 10600) * 10%.

I've seen the 4/9 calculation on this forum, but this was from 2008 so my guess is that this calculation is out of date and it is now just a straight 10% after deducting 10600 from the qualifying capital. Would appreciate some definite confirmation though before I complete my PTR.

Thanks

It's the same thing:

£100,000 x 10% = £10,000

£100,000 x(5/9) x 18% = £10,000

Check out page 2 of this: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/hs275.pdf

Amount of relief
    If you are entitled to Entrepreneurs’ Relief, qualifying gains (see below) up
    to the lifetime limit applying at the time you make your disposal, will
    • for disposals made on or before 22 June 2010, be reduced by
    4⁄9 and the net amount charged to Capital Gains Tax at the rate of 18%, or
    • for disposals made on or after 23 June 2010, be charged to Capital Gains
    Tax at the rate of 10%.

This is because prior to June 2010 there was one rate of CT - 18%. When they brought in the higher 28% rate it was necessary to simplify the ER calculation.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      It's the same thing:

£100,000 x 10% = £10,000

£100,000 x(5/9) x 18% = £10,000

Check out page 2 of this: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/hs275.pdf

Amount of relief
      If you are entitled to Entrepreneurs’ Relief, qualifying gains (see below) up
      to the lifetime limit applying at the time you make your disposal, will
      • for disposals made on or before 22 June 2010, be reduced by
      4⁄9 and the net amount charged to Capital Gains Tax at the rate of 18%, or
      • for disposals made on or after 23 June 2010, be charged to Capital Gains
      Tax at the rate of 10%.

This is because prior to June 2010 there was one rate of CT - 18%. When they brought in the higher 28% rate it was necessary to simplify the ER calculation.
      Thanks Clare. Mine was after June 2010 so looks like it will be a straight 10% once the personal allowance has been deducted.

Appreciate that 5/9 was intended to be a scale factor from 18% to 10% but I don't think the old & new calculations were strictly the same thing. Your example did not deduct one's personal allowance (i.e. 10600 for 2011/12). If this were deducted BEFORE the 5/9 scaling was applied then it would be. However, the versions of the calculation I've seen deduct it AFTER the scaling. Using 100K as an example, the old calculation would result in a tax liability of 8092 whereas the 10%-calculation results in 8940, quite a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Wary View Post
        Using 100K as an example, the old calculation would result in a tax liability of 8092 whereas the 10%-calculation results in 8940, quite a difference.
        Only correct if the annual exempt amount is not used elsewhere already. Clare probably assumed this was the case
        2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
        X