• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing Down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing Down

A year ago the decision was made to close down the company.

Final accounts were prepared and submitted.

VAT 7 submitted. Final VAT return submitted.

P35 submitted.

Insufficient possible capital gains to be had so no application for dispensation.

Now I believe I only need to submit a DS01 to HMRC.

Company owes no one, no one owes the company.

Is there any reason why I can't close the bank account?

I ask because my ever efficient accountant left recently and the replacement is extremely slow to respond to my questions.

I can't see why not. As long as the any outstanding final CT is paid, PAYE scheme closed, you should then close the company accounts down and then send in the DS01 with your £10 cheque. Then it's a matter of sitting around for 4 months waiting for it to be official struck of the companies house register.

Comment

Forgot to say CT has been paid.

Re PAYE. P45s have been raised and no employees now appear on the online service. Do I need to do anything further?

Comment

In addition to what Craig says, I suggest you also write a letter to the PAYE office to advise them all final returns have been filed, that the company will shortly be struck off the CH register, and request that they close down the PAYE scheme.

Also do the same for the Corp Tax office - although they often pickup on this through Companies House, but it might just help grease the HMRC wheels.
        Last edited by Greg@CapitalCity; 21 May 2012, 15:41.
        2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Thanks very much for your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
            Thanks very much for your advice.
            Quick and helpful advice from our regular accounting friends as always. Nice work.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You're meant to notify any "interested parties", which includes HMRC. I sent a copy of the DS01 to HMRC, and then went to see the bank to close the account and gave them a copy too. Extract any money before hand as you won't get it, the treasury do.

It was all surprisingly painless.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
              X