• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Income protection policies for freelancer working abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income protection policies for freelancer working abroad

Hi All,

Yes, I have searched the boards on this topic before posting...
    I know some folk don't believe in these types of policies...each to their own...

My situation is a bit different. I am a freelancer in the EU (though live in the UK, where my family are based - travel back and forth). I pay taxes in EU, not UK, so many insurers exclude me on that basis as i am not tax resident.

I've looked at some local policies in the country that I freelance in, but the legal jargon in a foreign language is just to dangerous to trust/comprehend. I'd also prefer to check the small print rather than relying on foreign advisor to ensure it's not full of holes. Therefore, I'm on the hunt for a UK insurer that will cover me whilst freelancing abroad - has anyone done this? I know there are policies in the UK whereby you can sign up whilst freelancing in the UK and then at some point you're still covered whilst working abroad. I'm the other way round - likely to freelance again in the UK at some near point.

I'd just like a policy that covers me whilst I work in the EU and will continue to do so in the UK when I return. In the event that I lose my hands/head etc, it'll be some comfort that I may get a payout if I can't continue doing the same role as I have now.

So far have only come across dengen.co.uk. Others say I need to be UK resident (i.e. tax resident), others are too murky with their definition.

feedback please! Gracias

Working...
X