• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To use an accountant or do it myself?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danielsjdaccountancy View Post
    The other advice I tell my clients is we're as expensive as you make us.
    Just a thought, are SJD responsible for making a mistake in the accounts they prepare, or is the client? In other words do clients have to check your work?

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      Just a thought, are SJD responsible for making a mistake in the accounts they prepare, or is the client? In other words do clients have to check your work?
      If you're a director, it's totally your repsonsibility. That's kinda what being a director means. It's your company, your money and your court case. And your improved income for taking the risks, of course.

If your accountant make a mistake, then you will have some level of redress against them. But, obviously, you have to know they've made one - which is why I keep saying that you need to at least have a passing familiarity with corporate accounting.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        If you're a director, it's totally your repsonsibility. That's kinda what being a director means. It's your company, your money and your court case. And your improved income for taking the risks, of course.
        This is what I would suspect, but it defeats all the arguments from people saying I dont have the time, they know more about accounts than I ever will and so on.

If you have to know it well enough to check what the accountant has done as your are responsible, then really you might as well do it yourself. Its a strange profession really when you think about it, in what other trade would you hire an expert, expecting to check their work and being ultimately responsible if they cock up.

Comment

This is what I would suspect, but it defeats all the arguments from people saying I dont have the time, they know more about accounts than I ever will and so on.

If you have to know it well enough to check what the accountant has done as your are responsible, then really you might as well do it yourself.
          You don't have to repeat their work to check it. You only need be aware of stuff like FRS, depreciation of assets and basic payroll/dividend management at a high level if you want to be certain theyr'e doing the right things. If they get it wrong, those nice people at HMRC will very quickly tell you, one way or another.

Its a strange profession really when you think about it, in what other trade would you hire an expert, expecting to check their work and being ultimately responsible if they cock up.
          All of them? It's called "being a Director of a limited company". Or haven't you read up on the relevant bits of the Companies Act?
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Having contracted for a year, I would strongly recommend an accountant at least for the beginning. The paperwork isn't intuitive or guessable when it comes to doing your duties, and you have to know what you're doing. After a year or two you might want to change to a cheaper service provider, but always check the numbers and know what's going on with your accounts.

My accountants were great to begin with, however now I pay
            £100+ per month and send just one file to them via email. They don't call me or email me with ideas ever.. So from that point of view they're not so great anymore. Maybe it's different elsewhere though...

Comment

Originally posted by dmo View Post
              Having contracted for a year, I would strongly recommend an accountant at least for the beginning. The paperwork isn't intuitive or guessable when it comes to doing your duties, and you have to know what you're doing. After a year or two you might want to change to a cheaper service provider, but always check the numbers and know what's going on with your accounts.

£100+ per month and send just one file to them via email. They don't call me or email me with ideas ever.. So from that point of view they're not so great anymore. Maybe it's different elsewhere though...
              Why don't you phone them and ask if they've got any ideas?

Comment

It isn't as simple as that, they will keep you on top current legislation and keep you at the current rates as they change. Do they not help you with VAT. They do not know your business, only you do that, they provide a service so you cannot rely on them for everthing. You need to strike up a relationship and keep in touch. Ask about stuff, ideas, areas that convern you and they will advise the best approach. That is about it. You pay 100 quid. How proactive for you clinet would you be for 100 a month?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  It isn't as simple as that, they will keep you on top current legislation and keep you at the current rates as they change. Do they not help you with VAT.
                  That's why I pay them, for the extra accounting tasks, not just to add up two numbers and hit Print.

They do not know your business, only you do that, they provide a service so you cannot rely on them for everthing. You need to strike up a relationship and keep in touch. Ask about stuff, ideas, areas that convern you and they will advise the best approach. That is about it. You pay 100 quid. How proactive for you clinet would you be for 100 a month?
                  When my client pays me 100% of what I ask for I always make sure they're happy and follow up with them. And if I was to hike up my rate by 20% after a few months I'd definitely go the extra mile, even if it's for a short period. Just saying, it's about quality of service these days and added value. Everyone can do the bare minimum, and if you can't it takes looking on Google and a few YouTube videos until you can.

Ask about stuff, ideas, areas that convern you and they will advise the best approach.
                  Maybe I will. Although a client chasing the supplier/service provider is just p*** poor in my (limited) experience.
                  Last edited by dmo; 24 June 2012, 21:48.

Comment

That's why I pay them, for the extra accounting tasks, not just to add up two numbers and hit Print.
                    But that is all you are going to get for £100 a month. Again you are over simplifying what they do, at first it was just one file, now it is VAT. I do understand what you say but I don't think you are being wholly fair. They are available to you any time you need which is a service and the rest.

When my client pays me 100% of what I ask for I always make sure they're happy and follow up with them. And if I was to hike up my rate by 20% after a few months I'd definitely go the extra mile, even if it's for a short period. Just saying, it's about quality of service these days and added value. Everyone can do the bare minimum, and if you can't it takes looking on Google and a few YouTube videos until you can.
                    Yet again missing the point. 100% of peanuts is still peanuts. It doesn't matter if it is 100% or 50%. It is 100 quid. I bill my client more than that for having dumps in a month and I am sure an accountants hourly rate is a lot more than mine!

Maybe I will. Although a client chasing the supplier/service provider is just p*** poor in my (limited) experience.
                    Which is because you are not understanding the relationship, the value and the expectation IMO.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I encourage all clients to check our work.

We are only advisors and therefore responsibility falls on the director.

I try to give my clients the best advice possible so they understanding how their businesses are being run as this will help them to spot any potential mistakes. Remember you guys know your businesses better than anyone.
                      http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dan-moss/18/18/105

Comment

Working...
                      X