• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Camper van or B&B as allowable expense living away from home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper van or B&B as allowable expense living away from home

Hi Everyone

This is my first post here. I am just about to leave a company and set up my own Ltd Co with a view to taking short term contracts. Due to the nature of my work this will be all over the UK and unlikely ever to be near home
    I have read a lot about allowable expenses but wondered if it was possible to purchase and use a modest camper-van instead of endless B&B accommodation.
    Could I claim anything for this mode of accommodation? Is there a flat rate of accommodation allowance I could claim?
    Any ideas would be most welcome.

Kind Regards

The Juggler

With B&Bs you claim the exact amount it costs plus £5 per night for incidental expenses.

You are better of trying to be a lodger in someone's house who isn't there when you are i.e. someone else who works away Monday to Friday or someone who works night shift. That way you can cook using proper kitchen equipment and have creature comforts like a living room and wide screen tv to use.

There are a load of HMRC booklets that you can have a look at to see what you can claim - HM Revenue & Customs: Tax allowances and reliefs - employees or directors and http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/480.pdf
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Problem with caravans and the like is that they fail the duality of purpose test - how do you prove you don't use it for weekends in the Lake District, for example?

Get an accountant; I'm sure it can be done, but you need proper advice.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Would converting a van be workable in terms of having a company van with 3k BiK? And then claiming campsite fees when working away at a contract?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          With B&Bs you claim the exact amount it costs plus £5 per night for incidental expenses.

You are better of trying to be a lodger in someone's house who isn't there when you are i.e. someone else who works away Monday to Friday or someone who works night shift. That way you can cook using proper kitchen equipment and have creature comforts like a living room and wide screen tv to use.

There are a load of HMRC booklets that you can have a look at to see what you can claim - HM Revenue & Customs: Tax allowances and reliefs - employees or directors and http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/480.pdf

Thank you for such a quick reply.!
          I have been living in hotels and B&B 4 nights a week since 2001 and I hate it!
          I would just like my own space and a camper-van seemed ideal. At least it would be like a little second home with my own things to hand instead of the forlorn hope that I have what I want in my suitcase.
          My work could be 2/3 weeks or it could be 6 months at any one place. Short term assignments would mean B&B and longer I could look for a rental property but the minimum for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy is 6 months.
          I will continue to pursue this as an option and post back if I have any success.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Problem with caravans and the like is that they fail the duality of purpose test - how do you prove you don't use it for weekends in the Lake District, for example?

Get an accountant; I'm sure it can be done, but you need proper advice.

Thank you Malvoli. I was wondering about having a second company and renting the camper-van to myself! When you travel as much as I do - circa 1000 miles some weeks, the last thing you want to do at the weekend is to go anywhere but your own home/bed/local pub!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Would converting a van be workable in terms of having a company van with 3k BiK? And then claiming campsite fees when working away at a contract?

Now Old Greg that is an angle I had not thought of! Food for thought indeed

Comment

Originally posted by The Juggler View Post
                Now Old Greg that is an angle I had not thought of! Food for thought indeed
                I have no idea if it's feasible. Just a question

Comment

In order to be a van it has to meet certain criteria. One of them in having a payload over a tonne I believe. In which case a camper van isn't a van for tax purposes I'm afraid. HMRC state:

"A van is a vehicle built primarily to carry goods or other loads which has a maximum laden weight of up to 3,500 kilograms." http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vans/vans-info.pdf

Mal raised the point about duality of purpose, and I think this is where you'd fall down. I knew someone who tried to argue the same logic with a boat (lived on it whilst on contract) and HMRC disallowed it on investigation. Having a camper van would enable you to live in it, but you'd also have it available for private use.

HMRC do say that a motorhome isn't a car for VAT purposes though, so if the same holds true for BIK purposes then the annual charge could be based on 20% of market value. Worth looking into further!
                  Last edited by Clare@InTouch; 9 July 2012, 07:40.
                  ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                    In order to be a van it has to meet certain criteria. One of them in having a payload over a tonne I believe. In which case a camper van isn't a van for tax purposes I'm afraid. HMRC state:

"A van is a vehicle built primarily to carry goods or other loads which has a maximum laden weight of up to 3,500 kilograms." http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vans/vans-info.pdf

Mal raised the point about duality of purpose, and I think this is where you'd fall down. I knew someone who tried to argue the same logic with a boat (lived on it whilst on contract) and HMRC disallowed it on investigation. Having a camper van would enable you to live in it, but you'd also have it available for private use.

HMRC do say that a motorhome isn't a car for VAT purposes though, so if the same holds true for BIK purposes then the annual charge could be based on 20% of market value. Worth looking into further!
                    So what if it's built as a van, and then converted?

Comment

Working...
                    X