• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Hmm goog spot. Just checked again and some other tech funds that were showing up are now around 3.5% down as of today. The Polar one hasn't updated so I'm bracing for another big drop.

Very odd with the timings of the prices.
    Markets are up and down like a yo yo. Funds such as Hargreaves are tightly regulated, no need to worry the prices will always reflect the composition of the portfolio.

The problem is that the shares are traded in the US so there will be a discrepancy between the closing price on your fund and what happened several hours later in the US. You need to compare with the previous trading day not the current one.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

You may wish to check your Smithson shares this morning. Nearly twelve quid a pop today. Very nice.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I would like to expand out of the UK to get more global exposure, and am torn between EFT's or picking some individual companies. I do know I am heavily biased towards FTSE companies, however with some companies which trade globally rather than just in the UK.

I am with HL so pay a maximum of £200 a year in fees if I hold only stocks and shares and holding EFT's they are not the most competitive.

Any advice on income funds/stocks to reduce my UK exposure?

JPMORGAN EUROPEAN INVESTMENT TRUST
        MURRAY INTERNATIONAL TRUST
        HENDERSON FAR EAST INCOME
        VANGUARD FUNDS PLC FTSE ALL WORLD HIGH DIVIDEND YIELD

Have all been mentioned
        Last edited by SimonMac; 16 April 2019, 09:38.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          I would like to expand out of the UK to get more global exposure, and am torn between EFT's or picking some individual companies. I do know I am heavily biased towards FTSE companies, however with some companies which trade globally rather than just in the UK.

I am with HL so pay a maximum of £200 a year in fees if I hold only stocks and shares and holding EFT's they are not the most competitive.

Have all been mentioned
          I took a punt at Baillie Gifford Shin Nippon plc (BGS) Ordinary 2p Shares Share Price | BGS as most of my portfolio is linked to tech so was taking losses across the board. It's done pretty well so far but no but not historically great. I assume the growth is down to general global markets and not linked to tech again but I'll only find out when tech crashes again. Might protect me from UK mess but not sure yet.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have all been mentioned
            I hold these - Blue Whale Growth fund, Fundsmith, Lindsell Train Global Equity. Solid, high quality companies. Extremely impressive fund management. For mid cap exposure, I hold Smithson, it has been fantastic since launch. I have no small cap funds presently. Once Brexit is done and dusted, I'll be back into UK small caps again. But not now. (Apologies, I just realised these won't really work for you at HL due to their usury with platform fees).
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Oh.. I'm also in to Lindsell Trading Global as well. Missed that one sorry.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Even the best have bad days....

Top stock-picker Neil Woodford suspends flagship fund
                Top stock-picker Neil Woodford suspends flagship fund - BBC News
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I don't think people really understand statistics and the nature of luck(good and bad) running in groups.

An awesome buy when it re-opens over a 5+ year term.

Comment

Here is Motley Fool warning about the one of the main stocks in Woodford's portfolio that then subsequently crashed over the last few months and contributed to the suspension of the fund.

Remember Carillion's collapse? Could this Neil Woodford-owned stock be next? | The Motley Fool UK

I find Motley Fool make good calls and I don't invest in anything that hasn't got a clean bill of health from them.

Kier Group does look under valued but I still wouldn't touch it at the moment or Woodford's fund.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Woodford's investments are risky. Biotech is bad for a start, most of these companies have crashed and the good ones tend to be one hit wonders,

Woodford’s Woes: Here Are the Investor’s Biggest Losers
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X