• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems silly as £10k is less than my monthly turnover but, as it was a gift from my Nan's estate that I wasn't expecting, I feel I ought to do something with it. Chucked the cheque into Metro Bank for now as it has a whopping 0.2% interest rate and is the least accessible to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      It seems silly as £10k is less than my monthly turnover but, as it was a gift from my Nan's estate that I wasn't expecting, I feel I ought to do something with it. Chucked the cheque into Metro Bank for now as it has a whopping 0.2% interest rate and is the least accessible to me.
      If it's money you don't need for the foreseeable, now is a great time to put it into the market looking at the medium to long term. Just not the UK market, I feel.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Might I suggest an ultra-low cost World index tracker (excl UK). I think that Vanguard are one of the lowest, but there may be others.

Sorry, no specific recommendations.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          Yes, but no, but...

Yes, there is a chance of a significant win via Premium Bonds, but the average return is really very poor. I had the maximum, at the time, of £30,000 in PI and won roughly £25 per month.

It's safe though, and it give you the chance to move the money into something with a higher rate of return when the time is right.
          For me Premium Bonds is a safe place for cash after maxing out ISA's. I have the max in ERNIE and tend to get a steady win each month, but as you say the returns aren't great although I have hit a few £500's over the past couple of years. But personally I'd put into ISA first, then Premium Bonds as a second and safe place.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
            Might I suggest an ultra-low cost World index tracker (excl UK). I think that Vanguard are one of the lowest, but there may be others.

Sorry, no specific recommendations.
            That's going to depend largely on which retail investment platform you hold the Vanguard investment. And whether it's an ETF or a fund (OEIC) since on several common platforms, that makes a big difference too. Homework is required here,
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              For me Premium Bonds is a safe place for cash after maxing out ISA's. I have the max in ERNIE and tend to get a steady win each month, but as you say the returns aren't great although I have hit a few £500's over the past couple of years. But personally I'd put into ISA first, then Premium Bonds as a second and safe place.
              Ah, this is the grown up shares thread.

Yes, myself and the misses do exactly the same.

Comment

If Amazon, Facebook, Google etc get broken up.

Do you think this is a good thing for Shareholders?

Comment

Duplicated post this but our resident expert in the other forum is in need of his strait jacket and medication. So...

Anyone in on Amigo Loans? (AMGO)

Comment

only gricer and assorted sockies

Comment

Lets pretend its fantasy money..

So, if I was less risk adverse than I am, I would put 10k into a Stocks and Shares ISA with this breakdown..

4K MNKS
                      2K EWI
                      2K JMG
                      2K Cash....buy on dips

JMG could be swapped for FGT for UK FTSE exposure, but right now emerging markets are looking strong.

Anyway, just my own thoughts..DYOR

Comment

Working...
                      X