• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    How many did you apply for? What's going to happen on opening of trade? I reckon it's going to go to an immediate 15 to 20% premium. Hope so, I applied for fifty grands worth. A nice ten grand profit would be very cool.
    Are you re-thinking this today?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Are you re-thinking this today?
      Slightly, yes. Whilst Mrs Bloggs may have to wait a little longer for her new kitchen, the outlook for the new investment trust looks pretty compelling still. The available investment universe sits below that of the Fundsmith OEIC such that companies that are now uninvestable in the fund will be available in the IT. It makes a lot of sense to have this portfolio as a closed end fund or it may grow like topsy and become another Fundsmith. So, the two Investments are very complimentary in nature and I will hold both. The increase from 250 to 600 million at launch will obviously soften the market at start of trading. But the outlook is solid. Perhaps instead of cashing in a large premium early on for the new kitchen, we'll just have to hang on for a few months or cash in some profit elsewhere in the interim.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

SSON trading at 1045p. Not bad.

Comment

SSON trading at 1045p. Not bad.
          Not so shabby, trading at a tad under 1075 presently. Resale market looking pretty strong, good timing by Terry Smith for this IT launch.

Comment

This year I bought AT&T, Ford and China Mobile, focusing on sustainable divis as the market peaks.

As the year closes out AT&T is 2% down, Ford 5% down and China Mobile 12% up, puts me in profit overall.

Diversification works again. Interestingly the gains in China Mobile occurred whilst Trump was bashing China. Needless to say I bought the shares before the trade war broke out. It hurt Ford a lot more. The more he protects the further down the shares go.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 December 2018, 16:01.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              This year I bought AT&T, Ford and China Mobile, focusing on sustainable divis as the market peaks.

As the year closes out AT&T is 2% down, Ford 5% down and China Mobile 12% up, puts me in profit overall.

Diversification works again. Interestingly the gains in China Mobile occurred whilst Trump was bashing China. Needless to say I bought the shares before the trade war broke out. It hurt Ford a lot more. The more he protects the further down the shares go.

What were the divi's like though? In my HYP I ignore the share price and just focus on the yield
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                What were the divi's like though? In my HYP I ignore the share price and just focus on the yield
                Not been the world's best strategy the last two or three years, has it? The "usual suspect" HY shares like BATS, IMPS, Royal Mail, Carillion, Interserve, M&S, Tesco and many, many others have been apalling in destroying your capital. (Capital value isn't important? Wait till you have zero capital, then tell me what your high yield is eh?).

Comment

Not been the world's best strategy the last two or three years, has it? The "usual suspect" HY shares like BATS, IMPS, Royal Mail, Carillion, Interserve, M&S, Tesco and many, many others have been apalling in destroying your capital. (Capital value isn't important? Wait till you have zero capital, then tell me what your high yield is eh?).
                  IMO share price only comes in when you buy or sell shares, holding for any period of time and it's of less important. If a price drops why would I sell, its dead money, even if it takes 10 years to get back to a profit as long as the dividends are coming in I don't mind waiting.
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

IMO share price only comes in when you buy or sell shares, holding for any period of time and it's of less important. If a price drops why would I sell, its dead money, even if it takes 10 years to get back to a profit as long as the dividends are coming in I don't mind waiting.
                    Go on then, just remind me, how much your Carillion and Interserve shares are worth how much dividend they're paying right now. And how long it's going to be to get your capital back that you lost on your BATS, Provident Financial, or whatever shares? At one time, high yield investing indeed made sense. In the great monetary experiment we're living in right now, it makes no sense at all. Good luck.

Comment

currently:

AT&T 7%
                      Ford 8%
                      China Mobile 4%

China Mobile has gone up quite a bit since I bought it. I'm flat on capital appreciation as Ford and AT&T went down.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X