• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feck me.. It's gone ballistic in the last couple of days!!

I almost feel I need one of Scoots charts to try predict when it's all going to turn south.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Anyone looking at the markets at the moment? Big drop in the FTSE and my portfolio and watchlists are red across the board.

Interested to hear people's thoughts. Is this a blip due to a raft of bad news or is it the sign of the next couple of weeks/months ahead?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Anyone looking at the markets at the moment? Big drop in the FTSE and my portfolio and watchlists are red across the board.

Interested to hear people's thoughts. Is this a blip due to a raft of bad news or is it the sign of the next couple of weeks/months ahead?
        Petrofac, currently looking very attractive,a stonking dividend too.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Petrofac, currently looking very attractive,a stonking dividend too.
          Topped up this morning at £3.91.

Comment

EIS

I invest often in EIS shares small amounts usually £500 a time but regularly, they are working out well, I am averaging around 15% profit and that is before the 30% tax refund.

It is a risky area and not for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Looks like I picked the wrong week to try to set up a new self-managed SIPP (I already have a managed one that's doing badly)

Comment

Ain't kidding there. Sold my entire holding two Fridays ago. Took some losses before I did but missed a load more.

Comment

Spreading

If you spread your risk around by investing in multiple stocks, then your likely return will get closer to the index.

Be careful of following advice based on stories you read on the internet etc.

I invested in Thomas Cook earlier in the year, got in and out and maybe made a 5% gain, but a few weeks back they had a profit warning and the share price tanked

I would have lost 70% of my capital, just goes to show how stocks can appear attractive but next minute you make a big loss.

Comment

Errrr... Right. Thanks for that

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      Looks like I picked the wrong week to try to set up a new self-managed SIPP (I already have a managed one that's doing badly)
                      Wrong! If you are in the accumulating phase of your SIPP, a volatile market is your friend. Buy the dips.

Comment

Working...
                      X