• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving SJD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
    ...potentially dodgy motives of the OP...
    +1. Simply not cricket, especially as it is not even him but "A friend of mine". I thought telephones came in handy when you actually need to speak to somebody rather than trolling on a forum...

Comment

In their defense I have had an excellent service from them so far, all the reminders etc come at the right time. My accountant is Sarah and she is lovely.

Probably not the cheapest out there but you get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
        We charge a full years fee's if we do a full years work (annual accounts etc). If a client leaves part way through the year without us doing the accounts we charge on the basis of time spent to that point and offset the monthly fees from that.
        I presume there was a certain amount of work involved in setting up a company that would need to be recouped, fair enough. So what is your early termination policy. ie, how much would you charge if a hypothetical startup contractor engaged SJD but terminated 4 months into the year?
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

They told me they charged the full year and lost documentation to boot.

I was told that the fee was for the year end accountants and just spread out over the months .......

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
            They told me they charged the full year and lost documentation to boot.

I was told that the fee was for the year end accountants and just spread out over the months .......
            If you want them to do your year end accounts, they will charge you for the year. Seems fair enough.
            My company setup wasn't free with SJD, so unless that's changed, that shouldn't be an issue.
            FWIW, I was happy with SJDs service, but switched to OneTouch half way through year because of fee increase. Switching was pretty straightforward - a few forms to fill in etc, but not as complicated as I'd feared, and no 'catch-up' charge.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              From memory, he's a contractor accountant.
              I wasn't aware of this. But I am now and will pass this info onto Admin...

I'm particularly miffed that you can ask this question without readers knowing of your occupation J1MT.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                I wasn't aware of this. But I am now and will pass this info onto Admin...

I'm particularly miffed that you can ask this question without readers knowing of your occupation J1MT.
                +1. The professional / business jealousy of SJD is rather tedious.

Comment

An apology

Guys. My bad. I should have declared that I was an accountant in the OP. In my (rather thin) defence I didn;t say I wasn't either but I acknowledge it looked rather dodgy. The contractor in question was considering moving over from SJD and asked the question. I didn't know the answer so asked here.

For the record, I have 250 clients, SJD have 7,000. I think in the last three years, we have traded maybe 3 or 4 clients. So while we do operate in similar markets, we are not really in competition. I have a huge amount of respect for Simon and what he has done with SJD.

So, sorry. Mea culpa. I guess I'll slink off now and lick my wounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
                    Guys. My bad. I should have declared that I was an accountant in the OP. In my (rather thin) defence I didn;t say I wasn't either but I acknowledge it looked rather dodgy. The contractor in question was considering moving over from SJD and asked the question. I didn't know the answer so asked here.

For the record, I have 250 clients, SJD have 7,000. I think in the last three years, we have traded maybe 3 or 4 clients. So while we do operate in similar markets, we are not really in competition. I have a huge amount of respect for Simon and what he has done with SJD.

So, sorry. Mea culpa. I guess I'll slink off now and lick my wounds.
                    We actually have 12000......
                    P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
                      We actually have 12000......
                      11999 now it seems
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X