• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving SJD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving SJD

So a contractor is not happy with the service he is receiving from SJD and wishes to move on. He has tried to resolve the issues of service with the accountant but its just not happening. He is 4 months into his first year of trading and 4 months into his agreement with SJD. He has a letter from SJD which says something along the lines of "the fee is calculated annually and paid in 12 monthly instalments. If you leave us mid-year you will be liable for the full year's fee." I understand about the way fees are calculated and how the accountants' work is done through the year. So, other than the set-up and probably one VAT return, it is unlikely that SJD have done a great deal in this case. Has anyone been in a similar position and if so, what was the SJD stance?

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
    So a contractor is not happy with the service he is receiving from SJD and wishes to move on. He has tried to resolve the issues of service with the accountant but its just not happening. He is 4 months into his first year of trading and 4 months into his agreement with SJD. He has a letter from SJD which says something along the lines of "the fee is calculated annually and paid in 12 monthly instalments. If you leave us mid-year you will be liable for the full year's fee." I understand about the way fees are calculated and how the accountants' work is done through the year. So, other than the set-up and probably one VAT return, it is unlikely that SJD have done a great deal in this case. Has anyone been in a similar position and if so, what was the SJD stance?
    Not the question I know, but have you escalate within the organisation. Some of their senior bods post here. I have always had excellent service so maybe a change of named accountant would do the trick?

Comment

Rather mischievous of you, and entirely wrong. We charge a full years fee's if we do a full years work (annual accounts etc). If a client leaves part way through the year without us doing the accounts we charge on the basis of time spent to that point and offset the monthly fees from that.
      P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Hi Simon. I genuinely wasn't being mischievous. The guy asked me the question - I didn't know the answer so I thought I'd post it up here.

Comment

Hi Simon. I genuinely wasn't being mischievous. The guy asked me the question - I didn't know the answer so I thought I'd post it up here.
          Did you try picking up the phone to SJD? Given that to my knowledge you are in competition with SJD, this post looks more than a little mischievous imho.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            Did you try picking up the phone to SJD? Given that to my knowledge you are in competition with SJD, this post looks more than a little mischievous imho.
            In competition?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              In competition?
              From memory, he's a contractor accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Not the question I know, but have you escalate within the organisation. Some of their senior bods post here. I have always had excellent service so maybe a change of named accountant would do the trick?
                The OP is an accountant in the same market as us.

Comment

As opposed to maybe emailing me, or through the usual professional channels you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
                    Rather mischievous of you, and entirely wrong. We charge a full years fee's if we do a full years work (annual accounts etc). If a client leaves part way through the year without us doing the accounts we charge on the basis of time spent to that point and offset the monthly fees from that.
                    I'd anticipate most accountants would work on this/a similar basis...ie I doubt many would insist you continued to pay for the rest of the year, but on the flip side if you leave mid year, don't expect to get a refund for however many months you've paid to date.

Be aware your new accountant may (or may not) look to charge you something for the months they've "missed"...one firm doing 1/4 a year's worth of work doesn't really help the new accountant.

Edit - didn't realise at time of writing the potentially dodgy motives of the OP...but left my answer above as will apply in most similar genuine cases.

Comment

Working...
                    X