• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Darren Upton again!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darren Upton again!

Banned again!

The Taxation Disciplinary Board | Disciplinary | Mr Darren Upton CTA

I thought this bit was startling:

In 2009 dishonestly stated on his student registration form for the CIOT that he had never been the subject of any disciplinary action by another professional body whereas he had been removed from the student register of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) ten years earlier for dishonesty
    In which case, why on earth was re re-admitted to ACCA?
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

It looks like he's planning to set up again, and was trying to get new accreditation from jail?

(Unless he applied before he got thrown in the clink and someone dobbed him in...)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      It looks like he's planning to set up again, and was trying to get new accreditation from jail?

(Unless he applied before he got thrown in the clink and someone dobbed him in...)
      It seems to relate to him joining the body in 2009 as a student, I would hope that no tax/accounting body will touch him when he comes out of prison, but the fact that ACCA took him back in after banning him for dishonestly 10 years ago, is concerning.
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

According to the ACCA decision, he's still not banned for life even now:

The Committee ordered that Mr Upton be excluded from membership with
        immediate effect and that no application for readmission to membership is to
        be considered until the expiry of 5 years from the date of the hearing. Mr
        Upton is to pay a fine of £10,000 and pay costs of £1,472

http://www.accaglobal.com/content/da...012b/upton.pdf
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          According to the ACCA decision, he's still not banned for life even now:

The Committee ordered that Mr Upton be excluded from membership with
          immediate effect and that no application for readmission to membership is to
          be considered until the expiry of 5 years from the date of the hearing. Mr
          Upton is to pay a fine of £10,000 and pay costs of £1,472

http://www.accaglobal.com/content/da...012b/upton.pdf
          Bloody hell, it should be life!

This makes me question the accounting bodies, what else will he have to do to have a life ban?

Comment

Wonder what he'll call the new firm? Dunrobbin, Blagget and Leggett perhaps?
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post

This makes me question the accounting bodies, what else will he have to do to have a life ban?
              There's an interesting discussion going on in one of the linked-in forums at the moment saying that the title 'accountant' should only apply to someone who is fully qualified and registered with one of the awarding bodies.

At the moment anyone can call themselves an accountant (even if no qualifications whatsoever) - so even if the ACCA kick him out for good then there's nothing to stop him setting up his own practice again!

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
                There's an interesting discussion going on in one of the linked-in forums at the moment saying that the title 'accountant' should only apply to someone who is fully qualified and registered with one of the awarding bodies.

At the moment anyone can call themselves an accountant (even if no qualifications whatsoever) - so even if the ACCA kick him out for good then there's nothing to stop him setting up his own practice again!
                True, but he also wasn't regulated by the FSA and that didn't stop from setting up a regulated scheme. Even if people aren't allowed to use a term, it won't stop some people doing it anyway. "Dr" Gillian McKeith for example.

Qualified people can be just as prone to mistakes and negligence as unqualified too. Again, Upton being a case in point. The fact he was qualified and regulated by the ACCA didn't help anyone there.
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  Wonder what he'll call the new firm? Dunrobbin, Blagget and Leggett perhaps?
                  Freedom Accountacy perhaps? That's already set up and waiting for him and very aptly named. I expect there will be more tales of woe in years to come, these kind of people never learn.

As for the main post I think he went for this acreditation when he lost the ACCA. They needed something to put on their engagement letters. Although why he didn't just lie on them also I don't know.
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 10 August 2012, 10:23.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                    True, but he also wasn't regulated by the FSA and that didn't stop from setting up a regulated scheme. Even if people aren't allowed to use a term, it won't stop some people doing it anyway. "Dr" Gillian McKeith for example.

Qualified people can be just as prone to mistakes and negligence as unqualified too. Again, Upton being a case in point. The fact he was qualified and regulated by the ACCA didn't help anyone there.
                    Agreed, but if the term 'accountant' had legal protection, as I would support, then anyone using it improperly could be prosecuted and made to cease using it.

It would be simple to have a link on all accountants websites, clearly showing that they are regulated by one of the accounting bodies.

BTW, I am amazed that Darren Upton has not been banned for life for what he has done, both in the recent past and now when he was a student.

Comment

Working...
                    X