• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there something immoral about this ;-)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there something immoral about this ;-)

The Great Olympic tax swindle | Blog | False Economy

Surely the sponsors had to pay a massive amount to be sponsors though? Did they avoid £1m in tax but have to pay £2m to be a sponsor for example?
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

There was always going to be backhanders and crap like this going on with so much money at stake. I don't like it but it was going to happen. What bothers me more is that they estimate 2% of athletes will disappear before their visas expire in 2 months. The Conglese boxing team and another African boxing team have already dropped off the radar. I will be seriously pissed off if they don't deal with this quick and hard.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        Surely the sponsors had to pay a massive amount to be sponsors though? Did they avoid £1m in tax but have to pay £2m to be a sponsor for example?
        I have no answer to that but the point I am trying to raise is that, why should the UK have to offer a tax break in order for them to ensure a successful bid? Not only that but they are about to offer the very same for the 2014 Commonwealth games?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          There was always going to be backhanders and crap like this going on with so much money at stake. I don't like it but it was going to happen. What bothers me more is that they estimate 2% of athletes will disappear before their visas expire in 2 months. The Conglese boxing team and another African boxing team have already dropped off the radar. I will be seriously pissed off if they don't deal with this quick and hard.
          They may as well look for the other 500,000 of them whilst they are at it

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            But the 2m would be deductible as an operating expense so they get double the benefit !

Comment

Originally posted by BenDover View Post
              I have no answer to that but the point I am trying to raise is that, why should the UK have to offer a tax break in order for them to ensure a successful bid? Not only that but they are about to offer the very same for the 2014 Commonwealth games?
              Hmmm... If I had to guess, maybe its 'common practice' when bidding to give tax breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan SJD Accountancy View Post
                Hmmm... If I had to guess, maybe its 'common practice' when bidding to give tax breaks.
                Does this mean the IOC are using tax avoidance? Is that not "Morally repugnant?"

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan SJD Accountancy View Post
                  Not so much 'common practice' but more a case of "The IOC insists on it". You want to bid, you need to offer tax breaks.

Sponsors urged to waive Olympic tax breaks worth tens of millions - Other events - Olympics - The Independent

(Paragraph 6)

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
                    Not so much 'common practice' but more a case of "The IOC insists on it". You want to bid, you need to offer tax breaks.

Sponsors urged to waive Olympic tax breaks worth tens of millions - Other events - Olympics - The Independent

(Paragraph 6)
                    One rule for one.... 'HMRC said British taxpayers were not losing out because London would not have won the bid to host the Games without meeting the committee's demands.'

Its is madness how they justify it.
                    Last edited by Nathan SJD Accountancy; 15 August 2012, 11:05.

Comment

Working...
                    X