• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working remotely in Singapore for a UK Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working remotely in Singapore for a UK Company

Hi I'm moving to Singapore on a dependency visa. My current employees, a UK based University, have asked me to work remotely however they have since come back and said that there may be an issue as they would have to pay a large corporate tax. We are now looking for ways around this so that I can continue to work for them. One option is for me to set up a company and to contract for them. Could anyone please offer me some advice or point me in the right direction where to find it?

Thanks,
    M

Originally posted by mmacdon View Post
    Hi I'm moving to Singapore on a dependency visa. My current employees, a UK based University, have asked me to work remotely however they have since come back and said that there may be an issue as they would have to pay a large corporate tax. We are now looking for ways around this so that I can continue to work for them. One option is for me to set up a company and to contract for them. Could anyone please offer me some advice or point me in the right direction where to find it?

Thanks,
    M
    Which means you need to look in to IR35 as you will be firmly caught let alone local taxation issue.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also try and understand your tax position. I don't have a clue but it appears there is a double taxation policy either in force or soon to be...

HM Revenue & Customs: 15 February 2012 – Singapore

and older document here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxtreaties/i...gapore-dtc.pdf

some accountant paper here might be worth a read...

http://www.accaglobal.com/content/da...r12_p6_dta.pdf

Try googling Singapore Double Taxation for more info.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I really just want to know if it is possible to remotely work in Singapore whilst being a UK employee (or contractor). We are not trying to avoid paying any tax but just want to know how to go about things legally.

Comment

I am sure it must be. There are many people on this board working/living abroad with UK companies so no problems legally. It is just the legislation and tax issues you have to wade through. IR35 is designed to stop people changing their status with their employer to artificially avoid taxes and something you will most definitely be caught by so affects the tax you will have to pay with an LTD so you need to understand this. You should get an accountant who can advise. Also there is the tax residency issue you need to fully understand.

Another thread below where this has been asked before ...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-hongkong.html

If you are going to do this you will become legally responsible for running your company. It isn't just a matter of becoming a contractor to fix a problem. Don't take it lightly.

Comment

If you are living and working in Singapore you will pay your tax there regardless of who you are working for and where they are based. IR35 will be irrelevant as it is a uniquely British shambles. Your employer will simply make a payment to you gross.

Two things to be wary of though, ensure you are genuinely non-resident for tax purposes in the UK and don't let your employer give you any crap about not being able to pay an offshore bank account.

Comment

Agree with the above, shouldn't be any need to be a UK employee, just bill them directly from Singapore.

Singapore will expect you tax your income there.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
              X