• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Company records check': SC / Security clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Company records check': SC / Security clearance

Firstly, i have read all the information i can find for the SC clearance, including that on here.

I can't yet find a satisfactory answer of what a 'company records check' consists of though. For example, will they be checking down to a level that they know if i had a disciplinary pending when leaving a company, or only down to a level that any firm can request (i.e. reason for leaving = resigned).

The information matters to me because i have a choice between asking my employer to go through the disciplinary process to give me the chance to 'clear my name' on file, or whether to leave it as it is, and not risk the result being a bad one.

It's an interesting dilemna, i just wish it wasn't mine!

Originally posted by Goreman View Post
    Firstly, i have read all the information i can find for the SC clearance, including that on here.

I can't yet find a satisfactory answer of what a 'company records check' consists of though. For example, will they be checking down to a level that they know if i had a disciplinary pending when leaving a company, or only down to a level that any firm can request (i.e. reason for leaving = resigned).

The information matters to me because i have a choice between asking my employer to go through the disciplinary process to give me the chance to 'clear my name' on file, or whether to leave it as it is, and not risk the result being a bad one.

It's an interesting dilemna, i just wish it wasn't mine!
    No idea. Without some context it's not exactly obvious either.

SC is not about companies, it's about people. A Company Records Check is usually an HMRC thing, not a security one. And I don't recall there being a question on the security forms about disciplinary hearings or even reasons for leaving a company beyonf "got new job".

And the whole point - as I'm sure you will have read - is to see how honest you are. If they are asking direct questions, answer them directly and honestly: you do more harm evading an answer than admitting to something trivial (or even something quite major, come to that). If they aren't don't say anything.

But a bit more background would be useful...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I've been unfairly accused of call avoidance in a call centre, while taking on extra duties. The only thing i did wrong was use the wrong status on my phone, without having been explicitly told not to use the status i used. I was working at the time, and doing duties as given to me.

Comment

Also, the problem is compounded by the fact that i'm told that if i choose to go through the disciplinary, anything could happen up to and including dismissal. As things stand right now, i'm on my notice period, having 'resigned' - it's just that i don't know exactly what the 'departmental/company records check' component of the SC clearance actually involves, and whether the disciplinary action being on the company's internal records, will matter or not - because if it does i imagine it'll look far better with me having argued my case than a big question mark implied by having left whilst the action was 'pending'.
        Last edited by Goreman; 11 October 2012, 03:06. Reason: More detail

Comment

I went through SC clearance last year and was worried about it, not a squeaky clean past and all that. Had to be completely honest and declared all of my misdemeanors but got it anyway without any issue. I wouldn't worry about it and just fill in the form. Did not ask about previous work, just convictions and a lot of family detail.

Comment

Working...
          X