• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can i ask for notice period clause in my contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    Is there any indication of mutality of obligation in the contract?

If none exists then no notice period is required, and any notice period can be invalidated anyway.

i.e the supplier may refuse to perform services to the client, and the client may refuse to supply work to the supplier.
    I would guess that is a <whoooosh> to the OP.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      You not having a notice period isn't actually a problem for IR35 either way. However them having a 28 day notice period means they may have to pay you when there's no work to be done, which is bad for IR35....
      Or, more likely, the contractor has to give them 28 days notice of termination of contract, and they don't have to give him any. Which means there is no moo, and that's good for being out of IR25.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Or, more likely, the contractor has to give them 28 days notice of termination of contract, and they don't have to give him any. Which means there is no moo, and that's good for being out of IR25.
        There is always mutuality, else you wouldn't be paid - unless the rules are different for IR25 of course ( ) - and the best you can aim for is an irreduceable minimum of mutuality. But nitpicking aside, basically you are right.

Commercially the best deal is assymetric notice period (a month for you , a week for them perhaps), for IR35 the best is no notice periods at all. Arguing for matching or long notice periods and celebrating having one, is strictly permie thinking.

And of course, we don't build our lives around the vagaries of IR35 at the expense of a decent working environment, do we...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
          What are you going to do if the project you're working on finishes early (for whatever reason)?
          get paid for 3 months while I do nothing

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Whooopy woooo
            And your point is?...

Comment

Originally posted by aceboy View Post
              And your point is?...
              The question would be what is yours?

Comment

Did you miss this??

You not having a notice period isn't actually a problem for IR35 either way. However them having a 28 day notice period means they may have to pay you when there's no work to be done, which is bad for IR35.

Comment

Good luck with that!!!
                  Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                    Good luck with that!!!
                    It happened at this client site about 3 months ago - hence I jumped the band wagon......

Comment

Working...
                    X