• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheated by the agency - different contract with client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheated by the agency - different contract with client

I had a contract with the agency ending 23rd Nov but Agency's contract with client was till 21st Nov only. The agency didn't tell me this until the last day (i.e. 21st Nov) when client told me that my contract is ending today. Since then i am trying to call the agency and sending emails about how those 2 days will be paid because the client will only approve my timesheet for 3 days of that week. But the agent is not attending my call and not even replying to my emails which is very frustrating.

Can anybody please advise what options do i have? Should i take any legal action as my contract with agency has 23rd Nov end date. But i am not sure as they have those small terms and conditions which can cause problems.

Has anybody faced the same problem with any agency, can you please share your experience?

Originally posted by gaumzi View Post
    I had a contract with the agency ending 23rd Nov but Agency's contract with client was till 21st Nov only. The agency didn't tell me this until the last day (i.e. 21st Nov) when client told me that my contract is ending today. Since then i am trying to call the agency and sending emails about how those 2 days will be paid because the client will only approve my timesheet for 3 days of that week. But the agent is not attending my call and not even replying to my emails which is very frustrating.

Can anybody please advise what options do i have? Should i take any legal action as my contract with agency has 23rd Nov end date. But i am not sure as they have those small terms and conditions which can cause problems.

Has anybody faced the same problem with any agency, can you please share your experience?
    Regardless of the date mix-up, why do you think anyone should pay you if you haven't done any work?

Grow up and move on.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Grow up and move on.
      Yup! It seems like over reaction however understandable given current state of the market.
      If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Are you really a contractor?

you could start a small claim against the agent ?

Comment

Originally posted by blacksta View Post
          Are you really a contractor?

you could start a small claim against the agent ?
          For what? He didn't do any work. Read Mal's post again.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Your contract is with the agency a d not the client so ignore that contract as you are not a party to it.

Your contract will say you get paid on production of signed time sheets, can you produce the time sheet for those two days? No then move and and man up.

(Also than which ever mod moved this out of general into a forum where we have to behave else you would have been slaughtered for being a eejit)
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I think he wanted a on that post #JustSaying
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by gaumzi View Post
                Can anybody please advise what options do i have?
                You could get really pissed off with the agency and start one with them. If you didn't opt out then you may be able to invoice them for the whole week on the basis that you were available for work but they never gave you any.

Most likely, this option will fail because of contractual terms stating that they are not obliged to actually offer you work for the full duration of the contract or that they can terminate the contract with immediate effect if the client terminates the agency contract. You will definitely need legal advice and this would probably cost you more than the two lost days.

If you make an issue of it, the agency will definitely take it to the client and demand money off them or at least bad mouth you.

The advice from this forum is going to be to take it on the chin. I'm presuming you were paid a substantial premium over what a permie in the same situation would be paid, so just write the loss off. Hell, it was only two days and it's not like you didn't get paid for work done. As a self employed business person you have to accept the good with the bad and it was good while it lasted. If you weren't a flexible resource then you wouldn't have been engaged to do the job.

If you weren't paid a substantial premium (eg, double) what a permie would get then paid you shouldn't be contracting - go back to being permie.

Keep the details of the early termination as part of your IR35 defence if you are operating outside IR35. Smile and thank the client, apologise to the client for the "misunderstanding" with the agency and leave them with your contact details asking them to contact you directly if you are needed in future. Get onto Linked-in and add them as contacts.

Good luck!
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Regardless of the date mix-up, why do you think anyone should pay you if you haven't done any work?

Grow up and move on.
                  because i was available for work and on the last day i got to know that they had a different contract with the client. If they had told me earlier i would have planned accordingly. Anyways, lesson learnt

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    They should have told me earlier or at least few days before my end date of contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X