• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gym membership

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Write to your tax office asking them this question, get their response in writing and then you have the necessary evidence (either way) in the event of any investigation. At least you will have an official answer from the one area that will matter in this situation i.e. HMRC and not just a thread contributed to by strangers from an internet forum.

The downside may be to put you on their radar.

Comment

Maybe cycle a bit slower.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Personally I pay my gym membership. I did look over 18 months ago at whether or not I could claim it as an expense but given the risk v reward I decided I'd rather pay it than:

a. Flag any unwanted attention to my books either from the accountant or HMRC
        b. Not be able to justify it should I get audited.

Comment

Get a gym membership for a place that has multiple facilities across the country. Virgin Active for example. That way, although it'll be your expense, you will be able to make more of it than just using it to shower there. Otherwise, considering it is your choice to cycle rather than drive, I doubt you'll stand a chance at getting that through HMRC.

Comment

I would go with the HMRC view on gym memberships provided to employees;
            EIM21825 - Particular benefits: exemption for sports and recreation facilities: general

As your gym wouldn't be a "qualifying sports facility", and given you want to avoid the P11D scenario, then you might have to wear the cost of this yourself.
            2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
            2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
            || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              Not on the defensive at all. My understanding was that expenses were allowable as long as they were 'solely and exclusively for the purposes of the business'.

Q. Would I need to join a gym so I can have a shower if I was not working in location X?
              A. No

Therefore is it claimable? Dunno - which I why I asked. Neither Mal's post, nor your 1st post addressed this.
              ok I'll bite... at a stretch you could argue it as subsistence, since you're claiming for the travel mileage anyway so it's a business expense.

Same argument as claiming for meals and accommodation - you need food and shelter to survive, but still considered "wholly for business" if associated with valid business travel.

Good luck though... I imagine an HMRC inspector would see the Gym membership and immediately want to slap it down as BiK and ask why it's not on the P11D, and your 'excuse' will be seen as taking the piss then you're just asking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                Well that was a singularly useless post. I realise I can claim for my pants if I want to pay BIK. My question was can I claim it as a legitimate expense, as it is solely and exclusively for business use - I'd be able to claim mileage if I were driving.

I would suggest if you're not sweating after cycling 15 miles, you're not cycling hard enough.
                You can claim 20p per mile for cycling to work HM Revenue & Customs: Travel - mileage and fuel allowances. You cannot claim however for the cost of the gym membership:

1. duality of purpose - you would gain a potential personal benefit from the membership which then wipes out the wholly and exclusively argument
                2. you chose to travel to work by bicycle - it is not required by the contract that you do so
                3. Presumably there are wash basins at work that you could use? Although not as convenient as a shower they would allow you to have a wash
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  You can claim 20p per mile for cycling to work
                  And it's only 4p a mile more if you ride a motorcycle (which costs substantially more to run with insurance and fuel etc) so I think the 20p/mile is supposed to cover the cost of showering at the end of the ride so that's what the OP should claim and pay gym membership out of that...
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                    And it's only 4p a mile more if you ride a motorcycle (which costs substantially more to run with insurance and fuel etc) so I think the 20p/mile is supposed to cover the cost of showering at the end of the ride so that's what the OP should claim and pay gym membership out of that...
                    Quite right
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Good argument Wanderer. 30 miles a day is £6 and that should cover gym membership.

A bit confused though, if client doesn't have a gym then you'd have to cycle to the gym, have a shower and then cycle some more to work?

The "shower only" membership is worth a try, they might not be able to comprehend it in their computer system but you never know you might find a human being working there if you try!
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X