• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment

Hi

My accountant wants to charge £125.00 to complete a self assessment tax returmn. How complicated is this to complete yourself?

Regards

TOSH1

If your income is just:
    1. salary
    2. dividends

Then apparently it's not. (I was given instructions to do one once by an accountant but never needed to submit my own.)

If you have a rental and other sources of income get the pocket calculator out, and be prepared to scratch your head.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Mine is just salary and dividends.

Comment

I find most of the effort is in collecting together the info needed* and you would need to do that even if your accountant completes the SA.

What you can do is download and print out the PDF form(s) and have a go at filling it in.

Accountant can help if you have stuff that doesn't fit nicely with HMRC's format, but otherwise by doing it on paper you have just collected together the details needed to do it online.

* like tax certificates from savings accounts or share dealing accounts, payslips/P60 from ex-permie role and other income, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TOSH1 View Post
          My accountant wants to charge £125.00 to complete a self assessment tax returmn. How complicated is this to complete yourself?
          Get yourself a government gateway ID (or whatever it's called these days) so that you can complete SA online.

Go through it all (you can check through it all before doing a final submit). If you find yourself getting stuck might be best to pass it onto the accountant.

I've always done it myself. It's quite easy, except understanding some wordings on some of the questions (mainly around expenses and benefits for me).
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Just to add, I have done an SA online using HMRC's site and I wouldn't recommend using it.

Their site makes it so much longer than it has to be IMO. Even if you will only be putting on salary and dividends.

Comment

What kingcook says.

It's fairly straight forward, but there will be a lot of questions with big words that you can ignore.

Also, don't do the n00b contractor mistake of ticking the box to say you're self employed...you're director/shareholder of a Ltd Co.

Comment

Why not pay him to do it first year? He sends you all the documentation for review, keep that and then just do it yourself forever after using his documentation as a template. £125 is pretty cheap for peace of mind to know you are doing it correctly for the rest of your contracting career. One mistake could land you with a bill for a lot more than that.

If you do go ahead and do this and get stuck you have no help except for a load of stangers on an internet forum. They don't charge anything but you likely to get an equivalent quality of help you paid for....
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why not get an accountant who does this without charging extra for it
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TOSH1 View Post
                    How complicated is this to complete yourself?
                    Its straightforward in my opinion (mind you I have done a few). Don't forget to submit your GROSS dividend + salary income in the service company income box, and if you had a P11D you'll just need to ensure you put the right numbers in the right boxes of the employment pages (using the HMRC online service can be confusing in this respect).
                    2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                    2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                    || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
                    X