• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance: income, life and critical illness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance: income, life and critical illness

Hello

I have been contracting for coming up to two years now. We have just had a baby, and my wife is not planning on going back to work. We have also just moved house, and have a big mortgage. So I need to start considering insurance. I just wanted to see what other peoples thoughts were. These are mine-

Income protection: Quotes seem to be around £60pm for a policy of £2000pm if I am unable to work due to sickness or accident. But most of them seem to only pay out for a maximum of 2 years. Seems overpriced to me, and not really worth it, as I would usually have enough money in the company to last me a while.

Life insurance: I have discussed this with my wife, and the minimum we would want is a lump sum to pay off the mortgage, and potentially our sons school fees as well. Quotes for this seem to be a bit more reasonable, we have been quoted around £30pm for £500k of cover.

Critical illness cover: This pays out on diagnosis of a critical illness. So if you get diagnosed with cancer say, you get £500k or whatever, as soon as you are diagnosed. Presumably, to enable you to have a less stressful lifestyle. This insurance is very expensive, and we have had quotes of around £200pm. To me, it doesnt seem worth it to us.

Do people here have 1,2 or all of the above? Im interested to find out what other people have gone for. Currently im thinking we are only going to go for life insurance and neither of the other two.

Something to consider is upping the deferred period on income protection, if you have a bit of a war chest to tide you over. Also having different layers of cover.

For example I have all mine deferrd for 13 weeks, and then tapered so a higher amount for two years, then a lowr amount.

Thinking is 13 weeks I can cover from savings, two years buys breathing space, and if its anything that takes me out of work over two years, then we would make life style adjustments.

Comment

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. In the end we decided to go for just the Life Insurance option. Your attitude to risk is a big factor here, and I agree, critical illness and income protection seem hard to justify.

While you are getting your ducks in a row with a young family, also ensure you get a Will sorted out.
      2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

We'v got the lot

I was pretty well looked after at my company before contracting so the Mrs insisted I got "like for like" cover so we were no worse off. My Ltd company pays around £300 per month for the following

Critical illness cover Lump sum £100k on diagnosis of any one of about 50 nasties
        Income protection £3000 monthly TILL RETIREMENT or for as long as I can no longer do my current job (this is worth noting as a lot of policies state you will be paid if you can't work at all also many expire after 12 or 24 months). Deferred for 12 weeks.
        Life insurance for £300k
        Plus the wife is company secretary and has £100k life insurance and £50k critical illness cover
        We are both late 40s and I have some loading on there due to my rather large belly. So if you don't drink beer and are a bit younger and fitter you will probably find cover a fair bit cheaper than this.

I would not consider contracting without this kind of cover in place. You just never know....

Comment

I was about to start similar thread Will come back later to see what others also say

Would anyone recommend any Insurance Provider?

Comment

I know its been mentioned before, but getting your company to pay for your insurance policies will give rise to a benefit in kind taxable charge.

For life insurance, consider taking out a "Relevant life policy" (do a Google search). The premiums are tax deductible for the company, and give rise to NO benefit in kind taxable charge on you.
            2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category

Comment

Originally posted by Arab View Post
              I was pretty well looked after at my company before contracting so the Mrs insisted I got "like for like" cover so we were no worse off. My Ltd company pays around £300 per month for the following

Critical illness cover Lump sum £100k on diagnosis of any one of about 50 nasties
              Income protection £3000 monthly TILL RETIREMENT or for as long as I can no longer do my current job (this is worth noting as a lot of policies state you will be paid if you can't work at all also many expire after 12 or 24 months). Deferred for 12 weeks.
              Life insurance for £300k
              Plus the wife is company secretary and has £100k life insurance and £50k critical illness cover
              We are both late 40s and I have some loading on there due to my rather large belly. So if you don't drink beer and are a bit younger and fitter you will probably find cover a fair bit cheaper than this.

I would not consider contracting without this kind of cover in place. You just never know....
              Ur LTD pays this? Isn't it a BIK?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Probably but judging from recent posts he has the worlds worst accountant. Saying that though he said his accountant is super cautious so something doesn't add up here.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Yep, all of it.

Comment

Fixed term life insurance is cheaper than "until death" (and if it is never claimed on, at least you won the bet you wouldn't die). I had a fixed policy to cover the family while the kids were young. Now they're older, the same level isn't necessary.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X