• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting up offshore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up offshore

What is the current legal position of setting up an offshore Ltd company, specifically for tax purposes?
    I've just got a contract and need to set up a Ltd and wondered if this contract should try set up offshore. But don't want to do it if it looks suspicious or will raise questions for HMRC..??

Originally posted by saffachange View Post
    What is the current legal position of setting up an offshore Ltd company, specifically for tax purposes?
    I've just got a contract and need to set up a Ltd and wondered if this contract should try set up offshore. But don't want to do it if it looks suspicious or will raise questions for HMRC..??
    Are you going to be working in the UK
    Do you live in the UK
    Are you tax resident in the UK
    Are you a sockie
    Last edited by LisaContractorUmbrella; 16 January 2013, 16:06. Reason: has to be doesn't it
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Think I'm beggining to understand nluk.

Comment

It wouldn't be worth your while, for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, the company might be offshore, but you presumably would still be in the UK, and therefore UK tax resident, and therefore your earnings and dividends from the offshore company would be assessable to UK tax.

Secondly, the offshore company would escape corporation tax, but only if it was managed and controlled from the offshore jurisdiction, which as you're in the UK would necessitate paying a CSP a fee to run it for you. As most limited companies would be set up so as not to pay much, if any CT anyway, there wouldn't be any benefit to this.

Comment

Working...
        X