• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to fix duality of purpose problem on leased flat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Assuming that this is not a dedicated office space (with all the implications that has), my understanding is that you can't even claim a portion of rent or mortgage because that is something that would've been paid regardless. I think the claim must relate to additional expenses incurred, such as electricity etc., which is the basis for the time/area calculation and why the itemized expenses almost never exceed the standard allowance.
    You could claim rent if you got a property specifically large enough to have a dedicated room to be your office - and no you wouldn't have to pay business rates on it. You can also exceed the allowances if you spent the majority of time working from it. In all cases you would need proof of why you have done this.

However the OP cases falls outside all this as it's the property his family live in as their primary and only residence.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      You could claim rent if you got a property specifically large enough to have a dedicated room to be your office - and no you wouldn't have to pay business rates on it. You can also exceed the allowances if you spent the majority of time working from it. In all cases you would need proof of why you have done this.

However the OP cases falls outside all this as it's the property his family live in as their primary and only residence.
      Yes, as I said, it's a moot point for the OP. Frankly, I don't think you can exceed the standard allowance by a "worthwhile" amount in the vast majority of cases, but I don't want to argue that point, as it partly depends on your interpretation of worthwhile. However, I am interested to know what you're referring to w/r to the "dedicated office." Are you talking about working primarily/exclusively from home under the second of these scenarios linked below?

Contractors

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Yes, as I said, it's a moot point for the OP. Frankly, I don't think you can exceed the standard allowance by a "worthwhile" amount in the vast majority of cases, but I don't want to argue that point, as it partly depends on your interpretation of worthwhile. However, I am interested to know what you're referring to w/r to the "dedicated office." Are you talking about working primarily/exclusively from home under the second of these scenarios linked below?

Contractors
        Yep.

In some cases it won't cause any additional costs but in other cases i.e. you are the only one in during the day so the £4 a week won't cover it.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Yep.

In some cases it won't cause any additional costs but in other cases i.e. you are the only one in during the day so the £4 a week won't cover it.
          Maybe. There's a fair amount of conflicting advice though, and given the relatively small amounts involved, it seems questionable. Also, what is the basis for being certain about business rates? Take this for example:

Working from home - Council Tax - VOA

There may be case law where a council has tried it on and failed (?) but it seems that business rates could be levied for a dedicated office in the home

Comment

Working...
          X