• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK born and bread, looking to move to Australia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK born and bread, looking to move to Australia

I wondered if anyone here has done this recently. Looking for advice and experiences. This is just a thought in my mind at the mo, and probably won't happen for at least another year.

I'm currently living in the UK (resident) and would like to emmigrate to Australia with my family (partner + kids). The 457 visa looks ok but I assume i'd have to get that and work with an umbrella company in Oz.

Is there no way to start up a Pty Ltd? (saying that back to myself, I know that sounds daft and imaging how it would work the other way around, i.e. a non-UK resident coming to the UK to start a Limited Company!!!)

Trying to gain permanent residency looks possible while on a 457 visa - then I guess I could start a Pty Ltd after that.
    Last edited by kingcook; 15 February 2013, 12:03. Reason: bred not bread!
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

What is with all the Oz threads at the moment?

autralia site:forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1875948
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Have you looked out the window lately? I got back from Afrilca in November and keep thinking why did I bother, it was 30 degrees and to hot to do anything except sit down between 12 and 3. I tried fixing a dvd player but broke into a horrendous sweat so gave up and did what the local do at that time... nothing.

i could have rented a house for 2 years with 1 months contracting income. Better still bought land and built 1 for less than a years income. I dont think ill be working past my 45th birthday the way my thought processes are going. All this in a place that was quite westernised and you can go and have a beer get a taxi, pop to the beach, Perfect.
      Last edited by IR35FanClub; 13 February 2013, 21:09. Reason: spleeing
      Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
        UK born and bread
        And UK educated by the sound of it too.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

UK born and bread
          You won't get in, they have very strict rules about importing foodstuffs.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
            Have you looked out the window lately? I got back from Afrilca in November and keep thinking why did I bother, it was 30 degrees and to hot to do anything except sit down between 12 and 3. I tried fixing a dvd player but broke into a horrendous sweat so gave up and did what the local do at that time... nothing.

i could have rented a house for 2 years with 1 months contracting income. Better still bought land and built 1 for less than a years income. I dont think ill be working past my 45th birthday the way my thought processes are going. All this in a place that was quite westernised and you can go and have a beer get a taxi, pop to the beach, Perfect.
            I have been looking out of the window for the 3 odd years I have been here and don't remember ever having 4 or so threads regarding Australia in as many days in that time hence my comment.

Where is 'Afrilca' anyway? Sounds nice.

Comment

I wondered if anyone here has done this recently. Looking for advice and experiences. This is just a thought in my mind at the mo, and probably won't happen for at least another year.

I'm currently living in the UK (resident) and would like to emmigrate to Australia with my family (partner + kids). The 457 visa looks ok but I assume i'd have to get that and work with an umbrella company in Oz.

Is there no way to start up a Pty Ltd? (saying that back to myself, I know that sounds daft and imaging how it would work the other way around, i.e. a non-UK resident coming to the UK to start a Limited Company!!!)

Trying to gain permanent residency looks possible while on a 457 visa - then I guess I could start a Pty Ltd after that.
              I can't help with Australia because I am not there but it sounds to me like you need to do more homework understanding employment and taxation arrangements in your new prospective home.

Things that work one way in the UK rarely work the same in other territories.

There is an active Australia forum on this website British Expatriate Community : British Expat Community.

You might find someone there that understands where you are coming from but I don't read it so don't know how well they react to speculative requests for information.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                I can't help with Australia because I am not there but it sounds to me like you need to do more homework understanding employment and taxation arrangements in your new prospective home.

Things that work one way in the UK rarely work the same in other territories.

There is an active Australia forum on this website British Expatriate Community : British Expat Community.

You might find someone there that understands where you are coming from but I don't read it so don't know how well they react to speculative requests for information.
                Probably about as well as we react to people who don't bother doing any research for themselves here

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Probably about as well as we react to people who don't bother doing any research for themselves here
                  I am in another one of the Dominions and for a number of business and taxation reasons you would not contract through a limited company here.

Having said that, we have a technical trainer who is based in Australia visiting to deliver four days work for our project next month and he does run that through an Australian company, so I think that suitable research is paramount.

Comment

A colleague of mine did this just over 2 years ago. He applied to one of the adverts on JS for people to go to aus. He got a telephone interview to aus around midnight for an hour. Went through a few formalities and got told he'd got the job.

Family flew out and have been there ever since.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X