• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is going limited worth it if you are inside IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    So the conversation will be something along the lines of "According to my working practices and in the light of both case law and this review from a respected professional I'm outside. Now what?". Or are HMRC going to take everyone who says they are outside to court regardless?
    I think they are likely to say 'prove it'
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      I think they are likely to say 'prove it'
      It won't ask "Are you caught by IR35", it will ask "How much salary and dividends did you take if you are a PSC?". That proves nothing, especially if you're leaving money in the company, a pension fund or anywhere else other than your own bank account. So they still have to open an enquiry and the same old treadmill still applies; except that HMRC are under pressure to close inquiries that are clearly going nowhere.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It won't ask "Are you caught by IR35", it will ask "How much salary and dividends did you take if you are a PSC?". That proves nothing, especially if you're leaving money in the company, a pension fund or anywhere else other than your own bank account. So they still have to open an enquiry and the same old treadmill still applies; except that HMRC are under pressure to close inquiries that are clearly going nowhere.
        Do you actually know the wording for a fact?

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Do you actually know the wording for a fact?
          I'm quoting Qdos's site...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'm quoting Qdos's site...
            OK so we don't know what the exact wording is going to be just yet?

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

OK so we don't know what the exact wording is going to be just yet?
              I think that's the problem, uncertainty again coming in 2013 Finance Bill. People thinking its carry on as usual could be in for a surprise imo. The ramp up of staff, the fact dedicated staff can process up to 1000 cases etc etc sends out a message in itself. Its the presumption of your caught now prove it...which if anyone thinking is not stressful, is operating in denial. Easy pickings is how HMRC are looking at freelancers and conractors...aimho.
              http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
                I think that's the problem, uncertainty again coming in 2013 Finance Bill. People thinking its carry on as usual could be in for a surprise imo. The ramp up of staff, the fact dedicated staff can process up to 1000 cases etc etc sends out a message in itself. Its the presumption of your caught now prove it...which if anyone thinking is not stressful, is operating in denial. Easy pickings is how HMRC are looking at freelancers and conractors...aimho.
                But they can start as many as they like. If you are following good practice, have a sensible contract that matches reality, have a qualified review of the contract and quality PEI insurance cover, then HMRC still have to prove that you are liable to pay under IR35 rules, and you will take them to a least the tribunal to defend your position. And they will still come away with the same results ratio.

The law hasn't changed, nor has the process. "More" does not imply "Better".
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Employment Status Indicator

I was reading this thread with interest and then looked at the Employment Status Indicator test of Hector (HM Revenue & Customs:Employment Status Indicator )to see what is going to be their thinking.

The key two definitions (I took the test about 10-15 times and based on the ones that came up with self-employed as the result) which mark someone as self-employed is a) you need not be working regular hours but are expected to deliver to deadlines 2) ability to substitute

Actually substitution is one that immediately allows you as self employed. If you can't substitute then the working pattern (control). All experienced forum posters might already know this and apologies I am repeating what everyone knows. But, almost all contractors who I have been working with will be marked as employees. I work one engager a year (on an average) and then move on to another next year. Even that is not good according to that test.

Considering the tool has been updated mid 2010, if they ramp up the IR35 squad, it is going to be another mayhem...
                  Last edited by contr7758301; 4 March 2013, 12:13.

Comment

Originally posted by contr7758301 View Post
                    I was reading this thread with interest and then looked at the Employment Status Indicator test of Hector (HM Revenue & Customs:Employment Status Indicator )to see what is going to be their thinking.

The key two definitions (I took the test about 10-15 times and based on the ones that came up with self-employed as the result) which mark someone as self-employed is a) you need not be working regular hours but are expected to deliver to deadlines 2) ability to substitute

Actually substitution is one that immediately allows you as self employed. If you can't substitute then the working pattern (control). All experienced forum posters might already know this and apologies I am repeating what everyone knows. But, almost all contractors who I have been working with will be marked as employees. I work one engager a year (on an average) and then move on to another next year. Even that is not good according to that test.

Considering the tool has been updated mid 2010, if they ramp up the IR35 squad, it is going to be another mayhem...
                    My thoughts too.

And you only have to read stuff like this to be very very fearful if Labour win 2015 election.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2...policy-review/

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Documents/UniteLabour.pdf
                    http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Working...
                    X