• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking assets from a company in administration - advice needed please!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Your wages are paid by your Ltd aren't they? Not an issue.
    No it was a perm job.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Just tell them you haven't got it and flog it down the pub. What could possibly go wrong?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
        No it was a perm job.
        Welcome to our world. Work dries up, you go home, nobody owes you any money. It's called reality.

Also, the administrators are operating the company now - the clue is in the name - and the ownership of its assets hasn't changed.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Welcome to our world. Work dries up, you go home, nobody owes you any money. It's called reality.

Also, the administrators are operating the company now - the clue is in the name - and the ownership of its assets hasn't changed.

I disagree, they owed me almost a months worth of wages before they called in the Administrators - the risks I take in a perm job are different to those I take under a Ltd Co, I did have a signed contract of employment.. and I do know the difference I've spent half my career on both sides of the fences.

I'm listed as an unsecured creditor to the company - they do owe me money.. whether I will ever see that money is a different matter.

Comment

I disagree, they owed me almost a months worth of wages before they called in the Administrators - the risks I take in a perm job are different to those I take under a Ltd Co, I did have a signed contract of employment.. and I do know the difference
            Yet you think a company that's gone into administration is stealing from you. In reality, they're just following the law. They have no choice. If you're paid monthly, then it doesn't matter whether you're a permie or a contractor, you're always at risk of losing up to a month's money if the client goes titsup. If you don't like it, ask to be paid in advance.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Were you due any redundancy? If so have you put a claim in with the National Insurance Fund?

Comment

I disagree, they owed me almost a months worth of wages before they called in the Administrators - the risks I take in a perm job are different to those I take under a Ltd Co, I did have a signed contract of employment.. and I do know the difference I've spent half my career on both sides of the fences.

I'm listed as an unsecured creditor to the company - they do owe me money.. whether I will ever see that money is a different matter.
                And I disagree with your disagreement. You will get paid first if there is any money left once the secured creditors have been paid. If there's no money left, you won't. Harsh but true. Thinking you've been robbed is pointless, get on with finding the next job, then worry about back pay.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  And I disagree with your disagreement. You will get paid first if there is any money left once the secured creditors have been paid. If there's no money left, you won't. Harsh but true. Thinking you've been robbed is pointless, get on with finding the next job, then worry about back pay.
                  Waiting until the 28th day of the month to decide the company cannot function and stringing everyone along in my book is theft.. they stole my life for those 28 days - I don't get up every day and spend money getting there to sit at a desk for 8 hours for the fun of it. The law may not class it as theft, but I do...

Anyway got a new job etc.. and yeah I got a capped payment of £430 per week for monies owed back from the Government NI fund..

I've never stole anything in my life and don't intend to do so, it's just a pity it belongs to a hire company because if it had been the company in administration they would really have to take me to court if they wanted it back.

Also I love the way the administrators have set a 7 day deadline for me to return it at my expense to some random address - they will be getting a letter back stating they have 7 days to collect it from my property at a mutually agreed time before I start charging storage costs or dispose of it. The f**kers.
                  Last edited by chris79; 11 March 2013, 00:00.

Comment

Waiting until the 28th day of the month to decide the company cannot function and stringing everyone along in my book is theft.. they stole my life for those 28 days - I don't get up every day and spend money getting there to sit at a desk for 8 hours for the fun of it. The law may not class it as theft, but I do...

Anyway got a new job etc.. and yeah I got a capped payment of £430 per week for monies owed back from the Government NI fund..

I've never stole anything in my life and don't intend to do so, it's just a pity it belongs to a hire company because if it had been the company in administration they would really have to take me to court if they wanted it back.

Also I love the way the administrators have set a 7 day deadline for me to return it at my expense to some random address - they will be getting a letter back stating they have 7 days to collect it from my property at a mutually agreed time before I start charging storage costs or dispose of it. The f**kers.
                    And you have active SC clearance. Dear God... Can I come and live in your world. It sounds nice.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I think people are being a bit harsh on the OP here. Certainly, the laptop isn't his, and he does need to return it (which he's said he's doing), but I can certainly understand the sentiment of holding onto it in lieu of wages that were owed but not paid.

I also do agree with the OP in saying "no, if you want the laptop back, you come and collect it or pay for the postage", I do think it's a bit cheeky to expect him to pay for its return. That's just me.

Anyway, he has my sympathy for that situation, and I certainly can see where he's coming from. I do agree with all the advice saying that he should return it, but I also can completely understand why he wanted to hold onto it.

Comment

Working...
                      X