Subsistence - Exactly what can be claimed? Subsistence - Exactly what can be claimed? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 64

I live on CUK

Quote Originally Posted by tranceporter View Post
    As far as I am aware, you can claim for accommodation if you already own a property, or rent one. Failing this, I don't think you can claim. This also means that you can instead claim for your travel expenses to and from the place of business. If I am wrong, someone else will be along shortly to kick my ar$e.

Yep but again it's not that simple.

As you said you need to have a permanent place of residence (somewhere you own or rent) that is different from the accommodation you claim rent for to live in near the contract during the working week.

However if you work at home, whether it's rented or owned, you can claim other expenses. The standard amount you can claim for doing a little amount of work at home with no questions asked is £4. If it costs you more than that to work at home due to working there the majority of the time talk to your accountant.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

More time posting than coding

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post

Yep but again it's not that simple.

As you said you need to have a permanent place of residence (somewhere you own or rent) that is different from the accommodation you claim rent for to live in near the contract during the working week.

However if you work at home, whether it's rented or owned, you can claim other expenses. The standard amount you can claim for doing a little amount of work at home with no questions asked is £4. If it costs you more than that to work at home due to working there the majority of the time talk to your accountant.
    Interesting. Some new info. Much obliged!
    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Umbrella Queen

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    <cough>LisaContractorUmbrella<cough>
    Ahh bless him - you have to expect a bit of brain fog when you're learning about expenses for the first time
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Ahh bless him - you have to expect a bit of brain fog when you're learning about expenses for the first time
    Indeed! Apologies, I am just trying to get to grips with everything!

Umbrella Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cartay View Post
    Indeed! Apologies, I am just trying to get to grips with everything!
    Don't you worry - there's a lot to get your head round when you first start contracting
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Fingers like lightning

Can you claim for Food & Drink ? e.g (breakfast / Lunch /Diner ) if working over your normal hours ?
    I remember I could do this under my old umbrella company up to £20 pd

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by CloudWalker View Post
    Can you claim for Food & Drink ? e.g (breakfast / Lunch /Diner ) if working over your normal hours ?
    I remember I could do this under my old umbrella company up to £20 pd
    Dunno what the umbrella rules are but here is the HMRC manual giving some guidance...

EIM05231 - Employment income: scale rate expenses: subsistence expenses: table of benchmark scale rates

Bearing in mind you are only getting 20% discount on this as it will come out of your pocket in the end. Doesn't really make it worth taking the piss that could lead HMRC to look at everything else in a lot of detail.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

To answer your specific question about "subsistence", you have a couple of options for a Ltd. You can use the HMRC benchmark "scale" rates (which vary by precise location and define the limits of what you can claim: for UK rates, EIM05231 - Employment income: scale rate expenses: subsistence expenses: table of benchmark scale rates) or you can stick to a fixed amount for unreceipted "incidentals" for an overnight stay (£5 in the UK and £10 overseas). If you're going to use the scale rates, apply to HMRC for a dispensation first to avoid problems later on:

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortform...ww.hmrc.gov.uk

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    To answer your specific question about "subsistence", you have a couple of options for a Ltd. You can use the HMRC benchmark "scale" rates (which vary by precise location and define the limits of what you can claim: for UK rates, EIM05231 - Employment income: scale rate expenses: subsistence expenses: table of benchmark scale rates)
    Also remember that contrary to what many people would have us believe, you can actually pay yourself these round sum amounts for subsistence provided you incur some cost (however small is not relevant).
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.