• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Combining contract and perm jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combining contract and perm jobs

Hi
    I have two offers for contract and perm jobs. Contract is for 2-3 days a week only & work from home and therefore I'm quite keen on accepting both.
    To accept contract I should have my Ltd company that I'll open.
    Therefore as it stands now I'll have two employments in my Ltd+ from my perm job.

Can there be any legal problems with combining two jobs contract and perm( apart from the time management) ?

Originally posted by Goggy View Post
    Hi
    I have two offers for contract and perm jobs. Contract is for 2-3 days a week only & work from home and therefore I'm quite keen on accepting both.
    To accept contract I should have my Ltd company that I'll open.
    Therefore as it stands now I'll have two employments in my Ltd+ from my perm job.

Can there be any legal problems with combining two jobs contract and perm( apart from the time management) ?
    Yes the reaction of the permie company based on their T&Cs
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Is the perm a part time job as well?

If you are going to ask complex question you have to be clear. What does 'Therefore as it stands now I'll have two employments in my Ltd+ from my perm job.' mean and what you do mean combine the two? Surely the perm job has it's own contract between you and your employer and your contract gig is a separate entity. So where is the 'combine' come from?

Are they the same client?

Have you read the perm contract very carefully? Many do not accept second jobs while you are employed.

Are you expecting to do 5 days at the perm and try slot the contract on in somehow?

Not sure how you are going to pull this off if you can't clear articulate your situation.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Are you expecting to do 5 days at the perm and try slot the contract on in somehow?
        Yes, the perm job won't have a a 100% workload, so I can utilize a free time to accommodate a contract(or agree on flexi conditions). Alternatively I can make use of my evenings/weekend time to do my contracting bit.
        But I'm asking not to how to fit 2 jobs in one week(it's purely my time management issue), but how to legally make it possible and if any complications can occur as a result of this. Any advice?

Comment

Yes, the perm job won't have a a 100% workload, so I can utilize a free time to accommodate a contract(or agree on flexi conditions). Alternatively I can make use of my evenings/weekend time to do my contracting bit.
          But I'm asking not to how to fit 2 jobs in one week(it's purely my time management issue), but how to legally make it possible and if any complications can occur as a result of this. Any advice?
          What does it say in both contracts?

EDIT: Sorry, just realised NLUK asked a similar question above
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

I would have both contracts reviewed by Bauer & Cottrell and seek their advice on this. Even if we were experts in this area we wouldn't be able to give sensible advice without knowing what the contracts contained.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Aside from the issue of you losing the permie job if they find out what you're up to, no. You won't have two employments. There's no point registering your Ltd. for PAYE, just collect the money in your company account and pay yourself a dividend as and when it suits you and sort out any tax via your self-assessment.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Have you read the perm contract very carefully? Many do not accept second jobs while you are employed.
                The last permie contract I had stipulated that I had to ask permission to take on other work, and if it was IT related they would be entitled to any income earned from it.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Most permie contracts require that you ask permission before taking on any other work.

Before you take the permie job, inform the prospective employer that you have a ltdco, and do some work through that. Tell them the nature of that work, and ask if they've any objections. You may be fortunate, they may say that it isn't possible. If the latter you could use that as leverage for a better remuneration package.

You are unlikely to have to say anything to client of your contract work.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    The last permie contract I had stipulated that I had to ask permission to take on other work, and if it was IT related they would be entitled to any income earned from it.
                    Trying to claim income from work you do for a different employer would be unenforceable.

However depending on your work and contracted hours they have a right to get you to seek permission.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X