• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RTI Commenth (Hold me I'm scared)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTI Commenth (Hold me I'm scared)

Just downloaded the updated HMRC Basic PAYE Tools, anyone else had a play with it yet? Whats the consens of opinion as to how many hours a week everyone does, and do we need to take in effect the NWM? Does it still not matter for directors?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

The government's own website makes it clear that company directors are exempt from the National Minimum Wage.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

NMW and directors https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-...e-minimum-wage

Basically, unless you have a contract of employment NMW doesn't apply. This leads to a question, do you have a contract of employment? Unless you've explicitly created one, almost certainly not.

Re hours, it probably won't make a great deal of difference at present, but clearly the Q is there for administering Universal Credit, especially the working and childcare elements.

Comment

With this RTI thing is there still a nill payment thing to do. Or can I just take note in 11 months time when I pay myself once?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          With this RTI thing is there still a nill payment thing to do. Or can I just take note in 11 months time when I pay myself once?
          Yes, if you only pay yourself annually either (a) submit a nil EPS each month for months 1 to 11 or (b) contact HMRC and your scheme changed to annual.

Comment

I use the Basic PAYE tools and the RTI version has had a big revamp.

However, in practice, it looks like the RTI bit is a button click to submit after each payroll run.
            Makes it a bit harder to fix a mistake I guess?
            I think I'll be submitting just before the next payroll run just in case!

I pay myself just under the income tax threshold - I don't mind a bit of NI to help the coffers.
            The rest, after expenses, goes into my pension.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post

However, in practice, it looks like the RTI bit is a button click to submit after each payroll run.

I pay myself just under the income tax threshold - I don't mind a bit of NI to help the coffers.
              When you say just before next payroll run, you don't mean submit month 1 just before month 2 do you? Month one must be submitted on or before payment date for month one.

Comment

I'm also paying myself just under the threshold and so will be submitting details of NICs each month. I assume that as a director I should be setting myself up under RTI for NICs under the normal employee method and not director's cumulative method?

And that question about hours per week:
                My wife is an employee, to be paid close to the income tax threshold, and apart from the usual admin tasks (let's not go down that rabbit hole of commercial justification in this thread pleeease), also generates her own work with clients (really) and works on creating new business leads for me. All told I estimate about 20 hours per week for her. If I select the 16-30 normal hours p.w. worked button, am I going to be nailed to the mast forever by Hector for some reason as yet to be unfurled by him?

Or is it safer to click 'Other'?
                "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing View Post
                  I'm also paying myself just under the threshold and so will be submitting details of NICs each month. I assume that as a director I should be setting myself up under RTI for NICs under the normal employee method and not director's cumulative method?

And that question about hours per week:
                  My wife is an employee, to be paid close to the income tax threshold, and apart from the usual admin tasks (let's not go down that rabbit hole of commercial justification in this thread pleeease), also generates her own work with clients (really) and works on creating new business leads for me. All told I estimate about 20 hours per week for her. If I select the 16-30 normal hours p.w. worked button, am I going to be nailed to the mast forever by Hector for some reason as yet to be unfurled by him?

Or is it safer to click 'Other'?
                  I don't think hector is out to trip you up; it's a straight forward question, with most significance being the benefit regieme.

Comment

Will the RTI software happily co-exist alongside the old (i.e. current) PAYE tools, or does it re-use (and potentially mangle) the database files?

The reason for asking is that HMRC's flyer specifically says:

2. You must complete your end-of-year return (P14s and P35) for the year 2012-13 before you start reporting PAYE in real time.
                    3. After you have completed your end-of-year return, you need to download the RTI version of our Basic PAYE Tools.
                    Their bold, btw, in effect a subtle "heads up" if you normally use the HMRC software to auto-submit P14/P35 online.

What I've done is register for the PAYE Annual Scheme. I was paying salary annually anyway but it does mean that I shouldn't need to bother with RTI for another 11 months (hopefully!).

Comment

Working...
                    X