• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotel changes their agreed price because of their mistake then backdated it...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Woody80968 View Post
    I checked out, in as much as i handed them back the room key and gave them my luggage (wash kit etc) so they could store it in their lockers, so if by that time they didn't realise i wasn't staying the weekend then god help'um...

I have a feeling i know where you're going, but the room was in the same state as it was when i left it Friday morning, do you just love that 6 day old towel feeling when you need a shower to clean yourself after drying!!
    I always bring a couple of my own towels.

I have travel towels which are lighter and thinner than normal towels. As it's summer you will find more retailers have them in stock but generally outdoor shops sell them.

Oh and it's better to try and negotiate with the hotel first rather than going straight to your credit card company.

Some credit card companies aren't helpful in claiming money back. They will first argue that you need to speak to the retailer, and if you say you haven't because the retailer either refuses to speak to you or whatever, ignore you leaving you to have to threaten legal action against them before they will do anything.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I checked out, in as much as i handed them back the room key and gave them my luggage (wash kit etc) so they could store it in their lockers, so if by that time they didn't realise i wasn't staying the weekend then god help'um...

I have a feeling i know where you're going, but the room was in the same state as it was when i left it Friday morning, do you just love that 6 day old towel feeling when you need a shower to clean yourself after drying!!
      So as far as they are concerned you didn't check out, so they didn't clean the room (which is strange in itself)

When you gave the key back did they give you a printout of the week's itemised bill?

Comment

What is the rate of tax for hotel stays.

If its anywhere like other countries there are two rates:-

1) for overnight stays with taxes charged
        2) another for longer (28 day +) stays where the taxes are not charged. Its likely you've managed to end up in band 1 when you want to be in band 2.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Upgrade-...ds=the+upgrade is a good read about living in hotels. He's an old mate I haven't seen in years.
        Last edited by eek; 17 April 2013, 12:01.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

They had already given me a receipt for 15 days deposit, so i didnt think anything of it, when i questioned the room not being cleaned (still at this point being friendly) they apologised and said it would be cleaned the next day, which it was, had the blankets / towels not been where i had left them, ie someone elses mess I would have insisted i was moved but after 14 hours of meetings, Eurostar and metro I just wanted bed...

After a hotel takes a deposit, surely that is a fairly strong indication that the price they set based on the parameters in the email requesting the quote has been accepted?

I wouldn't ever haggle on a price after paying the deposit, by that point I would have thought both parties would be happy with the price.

Comment

They informed me a week or so ago that they mis quoted me and that instead of 58€ a night the will be charging me €82.50 and that it will be back dated to the beginning of the month.
            Tell them you forgot to mention your €80/night admin fee for having the pleasure of yourself staying in their hotel.

You could also try telling them that you want to cancel your previous stays.

Both of the above sound just as unfair as their request.
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Some credit card companies aren't helpful in claiming money back. They will first argue that you need to speak to the retailer, and if you say you haven't because the retailer either refuses to speak to you or whatever, ignore you leaving you to have to threaten legal action against them before they will do anything.
              So long as the transaction is for a minimum £100 and no more than £30,000, any credit card company that tries this, you need to quote the Consumer Credit Act section 75 and state quite forcefully that the Act makes them 'jointly and severally liable for the transaction.'

In other words, the Acts deems them and the merchant to be one and the same, nor does the Act require you to negotiate with the merchant first.

If the credit card issuer is also UK based, it doesnt matter whether the transaction is made overseas, either. A decison by the then highest court in the land, the HoL decided you are covered.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                So long as the transaction is for a minimum £100 and no more than £30,000, any credit card company that tries this, you need to quote the Consumer Credit Act section 75 and state quite forcefully that the Act makes them 'jointly and severally liable for the transaction.'
                Been there and done it.

Call centre staff are often "the computer says no" type.

A strongly worded letter of complaint gets things sorted very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Been there and done it.

Call centre staff are often "the computer says no" type.

A strongly worded letter of complaint gets things sorted very quickly.
                  Then you ask to speak to the supervisor. Yes, I know they can try and duck out. They tried it with me over a duff pc I bought. Told me I had to get an 'independent expert's report' that it was duff. Er, nope, Sale of Goods Act states if its faulty in the first 6 months, the fault is deemed to have been present at time of sale.

They refunded in full.

You just got to stand your ground with them.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Then you ask to speak to the supervisor.
                    The supervisor or manager is never there, or backs the staff member up.

I've had that a couple of times.

They don't like it when you write a letter with their name on, time and date and send it signed for.

Anyway I've learned what credit card to use for what purpose so don't have that issue with providers any more.

Comment

Interesting outcome...

They haven't said that as long as I can be out on Friday they will refund me the 4 days next week and stick to the original rate for the previous stays... Not ideal as now I have to find another hotel but frankly that's a blessing and instead of a 300€ bill I'm getting 250€ back to put towards another hotel.

So I guess you could say its a hollow victory, as I need to find somewhere and it's going to cost me more where ever I end up and yes it kinda means they have admitted fault which means I could so easily start legal proceedings to claim additional fees incurred during my stay here, but like it was said earlier, it's not worth the hassle.

Thank you all for your advice and direction on this matter.

Yours

Woody

Comment

Working...
                      X