• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotel changes their agreed price because of their mistake then backdated it...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotel changes their agreed price because of their mistake then backdated it...

Morning all,

Really looking for help here, I'm staying at the adagio access inla Defense, frankly the cheapest place i could find and had an agreement with them before I signed my 6 month contract working over here as I'm on a fixed rate.

They informed me a week or so ago that they mis quoted me and that instead of 58€ a night the will be charging me €82.50 and that it will be back dated to the beginning of the month.

As I'm on a fix rate I can't pass these charges on so what rights do I have?

When I asked for a quote I clearly stated id only need the room Monday to Friday for 2nd April to 4th October but the €58 a night price would have been if I was staying for 7 nights a week, a mistake they have admitted on email back to me right before saying I now owe them an additional €300 plus euros for a stay I believed had already been fully paid for.

What suggestions do people have, and an a hotel despite giving a quote valid for 6 months then just change because they messed up?

Please help

Richard

Is this in the UK - you are quoting Euro prices.

In this country, there are bits of law around this - and it all comes down to when a contract is agreed. A quote does not form a contract.

Much like in a shop, if a price ticket is displayed, the shop do not have to sell it to you at that price. They can be nailed under various other laws by trading standards, but you cannot force them to sell you the item for that price.

On the basis you have already started, I cannot see how they can legally backdate their correction, but they may be able to wriggle out of being held to it for the rest of your contract - probably on the basis that each 5 day block is a separate stay.

Comment

I'm in Paris at the moment so its French law hence my doubt over if they can...

I'm in a bad place to be honest, do I walk out Friday and refuse to pay the difference as they asked for 15 days upfront when i started which given 1st April was a bank holiday should have got me to the end of the April but now they've changed the rate it wont even cover me to the end of the week??

Does anyone have any advise or a contact at Adagio outside of the hotel I'm staying in as they are like talking to a brick wall, just keep saying, that is the price, you have to pay it...

HELP

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        In this country, there are bits of law around this - and it all comes down to when a contract is agreed. A quote does not form a contract.
        A contract under English law is formed by offer, acceptance and consideration. It sounds like there were all three in this case so I don't think they can retrospectively change the offer.

That applies under English law, I don't know if French law differs. Certainly, I would be inclined to try and force them to honour the original contract.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

It's funny how the advice on this sort of thing changes, over on another thread it is viewed by some that even an estimate is a binding contract if the client accepts it and allows you to start work.

Continental law is quite quirky in this respect and in France and Germany, they are well know for ignoring EU law when it suits them! I would suggest posting in a relevant forum on Moneysavingexpert.com, there are some knowledgeable posters who may have come across this kind of thing before.

More importantly, did you pay be credit card? Please say that you did. Find another place, let the current hotel bill you and take the payment from you card, then simply complain to the card issuer and provide the quotation to them. They will refund the money to you and the hotel will have to take up their claim with the card co. then you can sit back and

Comment

Hotel rooms are often cheaper at the weekend than during the week so if you ask for a rate for a whole month they will take that into account and charge you an inbetween rate.

Now it seems to me they´ve realised you disappear at the weekend, and have now after two weeks realised their quote was wrong because they´s misunderstood.

I would at least try and negotiate a bit with the manager try and get a discount to settle up and look around for a new hotel.

Although in principle the hotel should honour their offer, it is by no means clear cut, and for a EUR 300 it just isn´t worth a huge fight. Just complain bitterly to someone in management and see what you can get out of it.

Then look for a new hotel.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

thing is its 300 Euros a month for 6 months...

I will be paying the extra on my credit card, then taking it to the card people....

Management have been informed and they have come back with this back dated approach, are we seriously saying then that despite having an official document with a price listed and after staying with them for 3 weeks they can now just change the price and back date it to the beginning of April??

I'll take your advise and also post of moneysupermarket and see what they have to say, thank you for all your help

Richard

Comment

Irrespective of the mistake, I think you have an opportunity to negotiate on goodwill without getting all argumentative.

For example, why dont you ask them to keep the originally quoted room rate upto the date they notified you and a slightly discounted newer rate going forward?

Your negotiating stance should be you'll stay at the hotel for the duration if they reduce the new rate a little on the basis that they made a mistake and you committed in good faith.

If they flatly refuse, your option is to pay what you owe and tell them you'll be shipping out to stay elsewhere or pay the new higher rate and full arrears.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Just a thought but did you actually check out of the hotel on the Fridays freeing up the room for someone else? Or did you have access to but not use the room over the weekend?

Comment

I checked out, in as much as i handed them back the room key and gave them my luggage (wash kit etc) so they could store it in their lockers, so if by that time they didn't realise i wasn't staying the weekend then god help'um...

I have a feeling i know where you're going, but the room was in the same state as it was when i left it Friday morning, do you just love that 6 day old towel feeling when you need a shower to clean yourself after drying!!

Comment

Working...
                    X