• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshore schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offshore schemes

Well the hot off the presses GAAR guidance is quite clear on UK tax residents operating through offshore schemes:

"The GAAR will apply to abusive arrangements where UK tax advantages have been obtained through rights or benefits under a dual taxation agreement" and "The express purpose of DTA's is to avoid double taxation and prevent fiscal evasion, not to facilitate double non-taxation"
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Well the hot off the presses GAAR guidance is quite clear on UK tax residents operating through offshore schemes:

"The GAAR will apply to abusive arrangements where UK tax advantages have been obtained through rights or benefits under a dual taxation agreement" and "The express purpose of DTA's is to avoid double taxation and prevent fiscal evasion, not to facilitate double non-taxation"
    This won't affect any of the freelancers in my building as they know better, the provider told them so and he wouldn't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Higgs Boson View Post
      This won't affect any of the freelancers in my building as they know better, the provider told them so and he wouldn't lie.
      In case the subtlety of HB's comment passed readers by, I'll add the last word.

NOT.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Why would they lie? They wanted me to give them 13% of my daily rate and in turn I don't have to pay any tax.

Comment

Why would they lie? They wanted me to give them 13% of my daily rate and in turn I don't have to pay any tax.
          And did you take them up on their generous offer?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

I was very tempted. I can see why people would sign up, especially if you are coming in to Britain from abroad and will only work here for a few years and then go back home. But that is not everyone that works in a bank.

Then I asked what would happen if I died (and it is a loan after all) and what would happen if the Inland Revenue changed their mind, am I liable for the tax.

Comment

... and it's backed by a QCs opinion so that's fine then. NOT!

Comment

I was very tempted. I can see why people would sign up, especially if you are coming in to Britain from abroad and will only work here for a few years and then go back home. But that is not everyone that works in a bank.

Then I asked what would happen if I died (and it is a loan after all) and what would happen if the Inland Revenue changed their mind, am I liable for the tax.
                Right....

I thought you were joking in your original post Higgs Boson, but now I realise that you weren't. So I'll make it clear.

Providers are interested in obtaining your money - some of them will defend you if HMRC demand back tax from you, many of them won't.

They will tell you whatever is required to make sure that you sign on the bottom line.

It's up you to decide if what they tell you reflects reality.

Take a look at some of the little fish left wriggling on the HMRC hooks in this forum. HMRC Scheme Enquiries

Every little fish there is having a very unhappy time of it - their lives are on hold, many will be made bankrupt if HMRC succeed (as appears likely in many cases, despite what people say).

Because they believed the provider (who, incidentally is NOT on the HMRC hook and is a much bigger and clever fish that has closed down the scheme the little fish were swimming in and has moved onto better hunting grounds...)

Comment

Joining a scheme was always bit of a gamble. These days it's even more so, especially now with the GAAR.

At best you might get away with c. 85% retention. (10% to the provider; 5% to HMRC)

The worst will probably be the same as inside IR35 with a competitive interest rate loan from HMRC.

If you spend the money then you're taking a very high stakes gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    The worst will probably be the same as inside IR35 with a competitive interest rate loan from HMRC.
                    And that's how many scheme providers justify their scheme is "zero-risk" - not zero risk of having to pay HMRC a penny more - but zero risk of having to pay anything more than inside-IR35 plus interest, which can easily run to well over 6 figures if in the scheme for years.

Comment

Working...
                    X