• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

inniAccounts PCG

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Use the fine search facility and find out who he is.

The only reason to use a PCG accredited accountant is so they don't come out with bulltulip on how you should run your company as they understand how contractors work.

However there are other accountants in the country who are fine.
    How would the PCG know what makes a good or bad contractor Accountant?

Comment

Originally posted by Higgs Boson View Post
      How would the PCG know what makes a good or bad contractor Accountant?
      Do pay attention. They don't.

Nor do they claim to. All they say is that this accountant has done a course on some of the specific legal peculiarities that haunt contractors.

However the PCG is made up of 22,000 practising freelance contractors in a range of disciplines. I would suggst their collective view of what a good contractor accountant should be is pretty well definitive.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Who taught the PCG then?

And please try not to sound too upset when someone questions the PCG, it makes it look suspicious.

Comment

Who taught the PCG then?

And please try not to sound too upset when someone questions the PCG, it makes it look suspicious.
          Nothing suspicious about it.

Like with lots of things in life some people learn by listening to others while others have to experience it themselves before they learn.*

PCG credited accountants fall into the first group while IniAcounts fall into the 2nd.

Believe it or not there are a few accountants around who are also contractors or have been contractors. So as they have had formal accountancy training and qualifications plus have the ability to submit their own accounts, they have learnt by experience how to deal with HMRC and the relevant laws and regulations.

*Of course there are people who do a mixture of both but I'm making it simple.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Who taught the PCG then?

What do you mean, "Who taught the PCG?". It was formed by contractors, it is run by contractors, it talks to contractors, when contractors ask questions it has access to governmental, legal and accoutancy knowledge at a very high level to get appropriate answers. A parallel and equally meaningful - or perhaps meaningless - question is "Who taught the ICAEW and ACCA?".

Question all you like, I really don't mind. But at least listen to the answers.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              What do you mean, "Who taught the PCG?". It was formed by contractors, it is run by contractors, it talks to contractors, when contractors ask questions it has access to governmental, legal and accoutancy knowledge at a very high level to get appropriate answers. A parallel and equally meaningful - or perhaps meaningless - question is "Who taught the ICAEW and ACCA?".

Question all you like, I really don't mind. But at least listen to the answers.
              You sound like a PCG Zealot I'm afraid. I promise to "read" any answer you write rather than listen, but I can't pretend to see an answer where there isn't one. It's the same response I get from other freelancers at the bank using off-shore schemes. You question it and they get upset.

Lets pick one from the PCG list, Acconomy. The contact is a Nigel Simmons and we can assume he is the person that passed the course. If Nigel leaves and joins a new employer, does that mean Acconomy are no longer accredited and neither is Nigel?

Comment

You sound like a PCG Zealot I'm afraid. I promise to "read" any answer you write rather than listen, but I can't pretend to see an answer where there isn't one. It's the same response I get from other freelancers at the bank using off-shore schemes. You question it and they get upset.

Lets pick one from the PCG list, Acconomy. The contact is a Nigel Simmons and we can assume he is the person that passed the course. If Nigel leaves and joins a new employer, does that mean Acconomy are no longer accredited and neither is Nigel?
                Yes.

Does that help?
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

That helps a lot.

My Accountant told me he passed the test and then moved jobs so he couldn't take the accreditation with him.

I didn't believe him at first but I do now.

Comment

That helps a lot.

My Accountant told me he passed the test and then moved jobs so he couldn't take the accreditation with him.

I didn't believe him at first but I do now.
                    There is supposed to be a sensible workaround, but I dno't know what the process is. However, logically it would follow the accountant, not stay with the original company.

AFAIK it's one of the many things under review at the moment.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      There is supposed to be a sensible workaround, but I dno't know what the process is. However, logically it would follow the accountant, not stay with the original company.

AFAIK it's one of the many things under review at the moment.
                      To my mind it makes most sense for the accreditation to follow the accountant? Like a professional qualification.
                      P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Working...
                      X