• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What happens if I can't find another contract and have to go perm ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, looking into the abyss a bit. Been on the bench for 2 months and have another 4 if I squeeze a bit.

Just wondering what my options are ? Would I have to close the business if I went perm ?

I'm planning to google etc and email my accountant but just wanted a quick opinion from anyone ?

No. Why would you?

Make sure you've got your CT though otherwise you're in the shiitt...

Comment

You can keep the company open if you like, you'll just incur professional fees in getting the accounts prepared and you'll still need to file a personal tax return. You could always keep it open for a few months to make sure you like permidom, then close it. We find a lot of people go perm and then return to contracting within a few months!

If you have any retained profits then closure might be a way to withdraw them at a lower tax rate.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Thanks. Tax is all safe. So far

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
          So, looking into the abyss a bit. Been on the bench for 2 months and have another 4 if I squeeze a bit.

Just wondering what my options are ? Would I have to close the business if I went perm ?

I'm planning to google etc and email my accountant but just wanted a quick opinion from anyone ?

Keep your limited open for the time being.

If you are going to go this route (more and more people including me are having to consider it), make sure you dont leave looking for perm until the last moment.

Im under no illusion, there's going to be some hesitation about companies taking on ex contractors as perms. So, invariably, there will be a lead lag time just as in contracting, to finding and getting an offer on a permie role

In other words, you should start looking at permie roles by the start of month 4 and hope a contract comes along instead!
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

You don't have to go perm just because you can't find a contract. There is always the somewhat more palatable alternative known as "suicide".

And if you are stuck in the misery of permiedom then you can keep your company running by letting it go "dormant" which reduces the number of annual forms to be filled in to just one (IIUC).

Hth,

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post

With such a small warchest, i'd consider claiming JSA (or whatever it is these days).

You'll have to get your company to lay you off and not pay you a salary. You allowed upto £16K in savings last time I checked.
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

I went perm nearly 2 years ago, but kept the company going. Deregister from PAYE and VAT, and it's not all that hard to do the end of year stuff yourself (especially if it's all zero).
                I have a trickle of Plan B money coming in, so I've kept the bank account active, but that costs me. I think if you go dormant, you're not allowed even that, and you still have to submit something. It didn't seem worth the effort to me; either keep it going properly, or close it down.

I left after 18 months of course. But TBH I'm not all that confident of finding contract work and may well end up permie again, just hopefully a better role this time. Remember if you do what I've done (resign from a job) you won't get JSA or anything for 6 months.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

In a similar situation myself. I've been advised that to close the company itself could cost in the region of £1500.. which itself makes me think it might just be worth keeping it going for another 18 months (it'll cost exactly the same in payments on a monthly basis to the accountant) - in hope that something might come up in the world of contracts; or I might find other uses for the company.. rather than forking the 1.5k in liquidation fees . Or - am I missing a trick here?

Comment

Last time I closed a company it cost me £0.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X