• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mro View Post
    Thanks very much, I'll be giving them a ring tommorow

Cheers
    May be a red herring but I have just taken Direct Line home insurance out and was pretty impressed with their approach. Didn't appear to be any of this tick boxing for stuff away from home, named items and all that. They seem to cover it all in a single option or the + option if you want more value. After being caught out with one company having away from home in and the one we moved to having it as an option I was pretty pleased with their British Airways approach unlike the Ryanair one of our previous company. I would imagine they are a little more flexible with terms because of it so worth a sniff IMO.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      May be a red herring but I have just taken Direct Line home insurance out and was pretty impressed with their approach. Didn't appear to be any of this tick boxing for stuff away from home, named items and all that. They seem to cover it all in a single option or the + option if you want more value. After being caught out with one company having away from home in and the one we moved to having it as an option I was pretty pleased with their British Airways approach unlike the Ryanair one of our previous company. I would imagine they are a little more flexible with terms because of it so worth a sniff IMO.
      Hi,

phoned my home insurance (lloyds) seems they don't cover anything bought by the business, (which pretty much everything I have has been) - but they said I am covered for working at home. At first I thought well that doesn't mean anything..but I guess they mean the activity of working from home I'm covered for.

So I'll give hisox a ring now so what they say. I might look into the qdos insurance. I'm also wondering about ir35 cover for any longer contracts I may pick up while I'm sorting it all !

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mro View Post
        Hi,

phoned my home insurance (lloyds) seems they don't cover anything bought by the business, (which pretty much everything I have has been) - but they said I am covered for working at home. At first I thought well that doesn't mean anything..but I guess they mean the activity of working from home I'm covered for.

So I'll give hisox a ring now so what they say. I might look into the qdos insurance. I'm also wondering about ir35 cover for any longer contracts I may pick up while I'm sorting it all !

Thanks
        I seem to remember I already have a business addition on my car insurance.

Comment

Hi, bit more info now.

My business insurance has changed very little; I didn't have building insurance as I rented a desk in a client building, so the only thing that's changed is the address.

I have 100,000 legal expenses (I wasn't aware of this but this covers tax investigations should it be needed as they termed it, but I asked specifically if they meant IR35 - they said on the phone yes this was covered under tax investigations, but it is not mentioned in the documents specifically. I asked if they could provide this in writing, apparently not - but pointed out that all the calls are recorded and that the confirmation that i was covered was on the call)

5m employer liability,1m public liablity,e-risks (hacking etc), 1m professional Indemnity, Property away (as they termed it) so basically laptops in cars on site etc.

On the face of it I'm covered for all eventualities hopefully, and I don't need to look elsewhere unless i want to improve the quote

One thing is it has personal accident added, but I'm thinking I may already be covered on my life insurance for this.

Thanks,

Comment

May be a red herring but I have just taken Direct Line home insurance out and was pretty impressed with their approach. Didn't appear to be any of this tick boxing for stuff away from home, named items and all that.
            DirectLine do small business insurance as well.

When I was going through the fine print of policies a few months ago I found:
            1. Hiscox
            2. DirectLine
            3. Axa
            Had policies which clearly state you could run your business from home and actually work on a computer there no just clerical work as long as you had no visitors.

With the other insurers it was a case of phoning them up and asking, and as I've indicated before a certain insurer had thick staff.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X