• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Early termination of contract due to issue on a work drinks evening

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    They recruited a permie to take your place.
    And remember permies can pull out at the last minute.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I used to attend 'works' and work related 'social' do's upto 2001. After IR35 came in, dont anymore. Having said that, avoiding 'social' do's can also be seen as a bad thing by some clients since they dont grasp the 'Im a contractor, you're my customer' relationships.

Speaking of relationships, I was in a very nice one with a lurvely woman at one client I worked at. Everyone in the office knew. When they did a office re organisation, they even sat us on the same bank of desks! How sweet was that?

As with all things in life, not everything is black and white.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        And remember permies can pull out at the last minute.
        Probably a good way to increase the company mat leave bill.

Comment

At the end of the day, even if you are innocent, if there is an issue, they will get rid of contractor before permie as they have rights that we don't.

Having said that, to terminate immediately without notice they need to give a reason. They have done so, so what are you going to do? You said nothing, so time to move on.

If you are rich, and really do want to make a fuss, threaten to sue the agency and client for the balance of the contract. That should at least inform you of what you have done.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetdude View Post
            Also I now have another problem! I may have another contract lined up in my town (so very close to each other really) and have been talking to them about possibilities, they were surprised when I told them my contract *might* be finishing soon.

So, do I continue to fabricate some reason why the contract has been cut short (budget cuts, end of project, etc.) or do I come clean and say "I was accused of something I did (which I didn't) on a works night out and was never given any opportunity to give my comment before they terminated the contract"....

Thoughts people?
            I noticed no one actually went for the honesty option

Comment

I noticed no one actually went for the honesty option
              As in:

I got terminated after harrassing the 17 year old admin assistant at a drunken office party, but have been consistently denying it since because they have no proof, but I thought you'd appreciate my honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                As in:
                And so endeth this thread. OP, you've got enough good advice here, there's nothing more to say. Let it go and focus on the next gig.
                "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing View Post
                  And so endeth this thread. OP, you've got enough good advice here, there's nothing more to say. Let it go and focus on the next gig.
                  Amen to that dude.

Thanks people for all the advice - very helpful, constructive and enlightening

Until the next time...

Comment

I know

It's just that I'm so confident I did nothing wrong, I didn't want to be taken the pi*ss out of. I know we're contractors, and therefore hired help and nothing to do with the company or permies, but that doesn't mean we're not human beings!

And whilst I completely agree with you that I most likely need to just suck it up (again!) and carry on, on the other hand, at what point do you think "Hang on, this isn't because I'm a contractor and it's easy for them, this is just them taking it too far and making a personal/character assassination and I need to do something to ensure my name doesn't get unduly smeared with crap."

But possibly you only did something 'slightly' off that would normally be ignored but they were planning to get of you anyway. So this presents a perfect excuse.

Clients can rid for no reason if they want. Some of them IMHO seem to think they have to justify it for some reason. Perhaps this is the case.

Also, as someone said, your a contractor not a permie. If you did upset a permie even slightly (not saying you did), then they won't get involved in whos right and whos wrong (like they'd have to if it was 2 permies). They'll choose easy option - bye contractor.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X