• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online Accounts (again?!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Accounts (again?!)

Hello All,

I had a look through previous threads and couldn't find a recent discussion, but has anyone tried online accounting other than FreeAgent? I looked at various comparison sites and there are some very different opinions to something I thought might be easier to quantify.

There's Kashflow, Clearbooks, Xero, Sage One, Quickbooks Online, AccountsPortal, Liquid Accounts.... have I missed any?

I do have an accountant, but want to move away from spreadsheets. I did use FreeAgent before, but was limited (IMO) without an accountant and therefore expensive.

I want something to manage invoicing, reporting, expenses and budgets. Maybe record pay role

For example, if I pay for a years worth of Clearbooks, I get it for around £17pm. AccountsPortal is £10pm as is Sage One, and QuickBooks is £9pm. I don't do that many transactions but that could change.

Anyway, I just wonder if anyone uses any of the above and could express their likes & dislikes.

Thanks.

The free ones...

Wave Accounting, Brightbook and QuickFile. Anyone tried these as well?

Comment

Quick google brought up this thread...

FreeAgent vs Saasu vs KashFlow vs Xero vs AccountsPortal - UK Business Forums

The one vs the other seems to be discussed a number of time on accountingweb and am sure if you do a search for each of the product names you can find threads discussing the differences, pros and cons etc...

I just typed in Accounts portal and there are quite a few discussing links discussing the differences and giving feedback.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ac...hrome&ie=UTF-8
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ask your accountant

Originally posted by lscovell View Post
        Hello All,

I had a look through previous threads and couldn't find a recent discussion, but has anyone tried online accounting other than FreeAgent? I looked at various comparison sites and there are some very different opinions to something I thought might be easier to quantify.

There's Kashflow, Clearbooks, Xero, Sage One, Quickbooks Online, AccountsPortal, Liquid Accounts.... have I missed any?

I do have an accountant, but want to move away from spreadsheets. I did use FreeAgent before, but was limited (IMO) without an accountant and therefore expensive.

I want something to manage invoicing, reporting, expenses and budgets. Maybe record pay role

For example, if I pay for a years worth of Clearbooks, I get it for around £17pm. AccountsPortal is £10pm as is Sage One, and QuickBooks is £9pm. I don't do that many transactions but that could change.

Anyway, I just wonder if anyone uses any of the above and could express their likes & dislikes.

Thanks.
        As an accountant myself, my advice to you would be to speak to your accountant. The reason for this is twofold. Firstly, having an understanding of your business they will know what software is most appropriate for your business. Secondly, by using a system like this it should make life much easier for your accountant which could mean you recoup the cost of the software through reduced accounting fees. Certainly Clearbooks and Xero are two systems that are very popular with accountants currently.

Hope this helps,

Tony
        <mod snip of advertising URL>

Comment

Agreed...

Thanks Tony

I went with XERO. Was going to go with Quickbook or Sage - gave them a go, but XERO is far better with features. Has some nice workflow built into it as well. Whilst contracting, I can go on the lowest rate £13pm and increase capability when needed.

Sage allowed access, but only via Sage for Accountants.
          Quickbooks was just the starter edition with not VAT
          XERO is restricted on transactions only - which is fine for contracting.

I've read quite a bit on the net about XERO, but after trying it myself against others, this is definitely a good choice.

Lawrie

Comment

Honourable mention to SJ D & the spreadsheet which they give away for free. If you want a simple low tech book keeping system then you can probably do most of it on that though you would need an accountant to do the end of year stuff.
            Last edited by Contractor UK; 22 August 2021, 20:05.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              Honourable mention which they give away for free. If you want a simple low tech book keeping system then you can probably do most of it on that though you would need an accountant to do the end of year stuff.
              +1 to that. Have been thinking about trying Freeagent out or something like that but I just can't see what extra it can offer me.
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 11 February 2022, 17:45.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That's what I used to use - despite never being an SJD customer.

When I changed to InTouch, I stopped tracking everything in the spreadsheet, as I do it online via their portal.
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 22 August 2021, 20:05.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  When I changed to InTouch, I stopped tracking everything in the spreadsheet, as I do it online via their portal.
                  +1 for InTouch's online portal - very easy to use, concise and effective
                  latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    +1 to that. Have been thinking about trying Freeagent out or something like that but I just can't see what extra it can offer me.
                    If you're happy with what you've got, I wouldn't bother changing. Having said that, possible benefits you might appreciate are:
                    - submitting VAT/PAYE returns from within the software,
                    - less data entry work due to live feeds or download/upload of bank transactions,
                    - your accountant can see the data live, no need to email docs back and forth,
                    - live forecasts of future tax liabilities building up,
                    - ability to get a P&L/balance sheet at any time,
                    - invoice from the software, no need with separate Word/Excel invoice templates,
                    - rebill expenses and/or invoice based on timesheets? Invoice calculation will be much easier.
                    - dividend minutes/vouchers auto drafted for you,
                    - you can't inadvertently delete formula.

SJD's spreadsheet may well assist with some of the above, I only quickly played with it once. There's probably also a ton of other minor benefits you'd get with FreeAgent/its equivalents that have slipped my mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X