• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HSBC to introduce monthly fee for their Business Direct account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danielsjdaccountancy View Post
    Grass is always greener......
    Dan, whilst I would agree that if a client is happy with their bank, why move, I would say that of all the banks we have come across, Cater Allen is the only one who understands the contractor market.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
      Dan, whilst I would agree that if a client is happy with their bank, why move, I would say that of all the banks we have come across, Cater Allen is the only one who understands the contractor market.
      What exactly do you mean by that?

They're the easiest for a 1 man ltd to get an account from?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        What exactly do you mean by that?

They're the easiest for a 1 man ltd to get an account from?
        Our experience is that many traditional bank staff, in the regular high street branches, have often not come across the concept of contracting and what transactions are expected through the account.

As always, there are exceptions but we find this is not an issue with Cater Allen as they have been in this market for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
          Our experience is that many traditional bank staff, in the regular high street branches, have often not come across the concept of contracting and what transactions are expected through the account.

As always, there are exceptions but we find this is not an issue with Cater Allen as they have been in this market for a long time.
          Agreed, my various HSBC business advisors haven't really understood what I do for a living. However, they are quite good at supporting one man businesses...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Ah its not just me that's thinking of leaving then. HSBC have a shed load of my company's money to invest and my cut of the interest wouldn't buy me a takeaway. Now they want to charge too? Err I think not. It seems they don't want contractor business any more.

Comment

I'm with Crunch Accounting.

Just been told that the BankLink/BankBolt is free with Cater Allen and so is the setup of the account.

Provided Cater Allen has decent internet services and a quick payment option then I'll be sacking off HSBC too.

Comment

Cater Allen

You can use the referral from ContractorUK link to get the free Cater Allen banking and the £5,000 minimum is waived.

Free business bank account l IT contractor bank account l Cater Allen free banking :: Contractor UK

I know CA is Santander, but been ok for me so far…

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Their website doesn't say they are free for switchers.

The only free accounts I know are:
                  1. Cater Allen
                  2. RBS - though they will be sold at some point in the not distance future
                  My Santander account has always been free but then it is an old Abbey account.

I need a bank with half-decent overseas payment options, which is why I went with HSBC while keeping the Santander one open as a back-up. They were able to offer me a foreign currency account and the HSBCnet platform. Which is a bit of overkill, but with Santander they seem to offer very little - I want to be able to save details of overseas payments to re-use electronically.

Any recommendations? Do CA do this?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    My Santander account has always been free but then it is an old Abbey account.

I need a bank with half-decent overseas payment options, which is why I went with HSBC while keeping the Santander one open as a back-up. They were able to offer me a foreign currency account and the HSBCnet platform. Which is a bit of overkill, but with Santander they seem to offer very little - I want to be able to save details of overseas payments to re-use electronically.

Any recommendations? Do CA do this?
                    Hi d000hg,

Cater Allen are able to assist with foreign transactions. They are also able to open accounts in other currencies if necessary, there are no monthly fees for this service.

There is a fee to receive payments from other countries which I believe is around £7-£8. RBS facilitate the transfers from abroad and it is they who make the charge.

Most banks have a similar charge for receiving these payments, although it is not always clear what fee has been paid as the amount you receive will be net of any exchange rate gain/loss aswell as a possible service fee.

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

Cater Allen is owned by Santander which charges for its business accounts - £7.50 per month in my case.

Free banking is an anomaly that won't last long.

Comment

Working...
                      X