• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winter Tyre Expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Tyre Expense

Afternoon,

I've got a contract in Munich and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a tad chilly in winter!
    I'm lining up a place to rent for the 4 month duration.
    Next on the list is making my car winter proof.

Can I claim winter tyres as an expense?
    I wouldn't be in Munich if it wasn't for the contract.
    I definately wouldn't buy winter tyres in the UK.
    The "wholey for business" is obviously a sticking point, since I would be driving the car all over the shop when in Munich.
    But it's quite a lot of money for tyres and would completely write off the puney 45p/mile mileage claim.

Anyone successfully claimed for these?
    Don't believe it, until you see it!

Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
    Afternoon,

I've got a contract in Munich and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a tad chilly in winter!

The "wholey for business" is obviously a sticking point, since I would be driving the car all over the shop when in Munich.
    But it's quite a lot of money for tyres and would completely write off the puney 45p/mile mileage claim.

Anyone can successfully claim for them. The real question is whether anyone has successfully defended it against a challenge from HMRC. And my guess would be no - as you point out, they wouldn't be wholly and exclusively for the business.

Comment

Afternoon,

Is the car you are driving a company car? In that case, I would claim the expense. If the car is for personal use and for commute to a place of business, I would not bother claiming.
      I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
        Is the car you are driving a company car? In that case, I would claim the expense. If the car is for personal use and for commute to a place of business, I would not bother claiming.
        If it's a company car, then it's a valid expense.

If it's not, then you can claim it but will need to declare it on your P11D as a benefit in kind.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Don't know about Munich, but if you're claiming the normal 45p private mileage expenses that's meant to cover all your motoring costs. You can't go adding extra stuff on top, otherwise you'd be able to claim "wholly for business" petrol and that would be silly.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Afternoon,

If it isn't a company car then the costs would not be allowed.

On the plus side, I've heard Oktoberfest is amazing!

Martin

Comment

If nothing else it's original
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
                If it isn't a company car then the costs would not be allowed.

On the plus side, I've heard Oktoberfest is amazing!

Martin
                I don't think I can claim for beer as an expense

It's my own car. So the consensus is no. The 45p/mile pays for wear and tear, not an additional set of tyres and storage of the summer ones.
                Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

I don't think I can claim for beer as an expense

It's my own car. So the consensus is no. The 45p/mile pays for wear and tear, not an additional set of tyres and storage of the summer ones.
                  Yes 45p covers your motoring costs - the tyres themselves could not be claimed because of 'duality of purpose'
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

...The 45p/mile pays for wear and tear...
                    No. It pays for all motoring costs. (Well, obviously, it doesn't because it's far too law, but in HMRC's minds, it does).

The extra cost of winter tyres is in fact just the cost of storage + cost of fitting. If you drive on one set of tyres in summer and another in winter, then your tyres will last twice as long. TBH, if I was living in the UK (having got used to switching tyres October and April, and got used to the better handling), I'd have winter/summer tyres anyway. Winter tyres are not just for snow, they give better performance whenever the temperature is low.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X