• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Glasses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glasses

Hi

Hoping to get a feel for what others do about claiming glasses through their LtdCo.

I went to the opticians today and asked them to split the bill so I could pay for the eye test through my LtdCo, and pay for the glasses personally. They suggested that I should put the glasses through my company too as I need them for reading and VDU work. I don't need to wear them all the time. I don't believe they meet the 'solely and exclusively' criteria, but wondered what others do?

Thanks
    UglyBetty

Originally posted by UglyBetty View Post
    Hi

Hoping to get a feel for what others do about claiming glasses through their LtdCo.

I went to the opticians today and asked them to split the bill so I could pay for the eye test through my LtdCo, and pay for the glasses personally. They suggested that I should put the glasses through my company too as I need them for reading and VDU work. I don't need to wear them all the time. I don't believe they meet the 'solely and exclusively' criteria, but wondered what others do?

Thanks
    UglyBetty
    the basic rule is that if you need glasses to work, you can claim the eye test and the lenses but not the frames. Net saving over paying it yourself is around £30 every two years, so I've never bothered.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Are you long sighted or short sighted?

If you are long sighted claim and get a cheap second pair online or from a chemist/pharmacy out of your own pocket. (You will lose them if you don't have to wear them all the time so they are worth having.)

If you are short sighted don't take the p*ss.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        the basic rule is that if you need glasses to work, you can claim the eye test and the lenses but not the frames. Net saving over paying it yourself is around £30 every two years, so I've never bothered.
        Thanks Malvolio.

Just wondered what you mean by 'basic rule'? Is there HMRC guidance?
        It seems odd to be able to claim part of a pair of glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Are you long sighted or short sighted?

If you are long sighted claim and get a cheap second pair online or from a chemist/pharmacy out of your own pocket. (You will lose them if you don't have to wear them all the time so they are worth having.)

If you are short sighted don't take the p*ss.
          I'm long sighted (or my arms are too short). Not wanting to take the pee which is why I wasn't going to claim. However if 'everyone' does, or if malvolio's guidance on the lenses being allowable is correct, then it's daft not to.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyBetty View Post
            I'm long sighted (or my arms are too short). Not wanting to take the pee which is why I wasn't going to claim. However if 'everyone' does, or if malvolio's guidance on the lenses being allowable is correct, then it's daft not to.
            It's Health and Safety at Work Legislation. Linky

Generally the people I know who work for employers who employ more than themselves tend to get a free eye test plus a voucher towards their glasses for about £60. So if the glasses cost more than that they have to pay.

The pdf link states the cost is to cover a basic pair of frames and lenses.

If you are long sighted you can get a pair of glasses with lenses for around £60 from an optician.

BTW You are not self-employed hence you can claim.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              It's Health and Safety at Work Legislation. Linky

Generally the people I know who work for employers who employ more than themselves tend to get a free eye test plus a voucher towards their glasses for about £60. So if the glasses cost more than that they have to pay.

The pdf link states the cost is to cover a basic pair of frames and lenses.

If you are long sighted you can get a pair of glasses with lenses for around £60 from an optician.

BTW You are not self-employed hence you can claim.
              Thanks SueEllen - that's really useful. The basic lenses (no coatings) are £50 and frames £75 - there were some cheaper, but I didn't see any under £70 (perhaps they hide them under the counter.) Next time I'll shop around! I'll try and get a feel for how much my client gives to the permies for their glasses and perhaps use that as a rule of thumb for my Company's 'policy'.

Comment

Remember that you only ultimately save 20%. With things like that I tend to think it's not worth the hassle.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Remember that you only ultimately save 20%. With things like that I tend to think it's not worth the hassle.
                  40% if I was to take the same money as divvies. But I take your point.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Do you regard all your expenses as a hassle?

Comment

Working...
                    X