• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance - Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Standard answers - QDOS or a discount on Randell Dorling via PCG membership.

ELI because you do have a substitution clause (don't you) and you need ELI to use a subbie (or anyone else) working under your control. No ELI and the judge will deem your RoS a sham. And it only costs fourpence anyway.
    No reason why you couldn't take out ELI as and when you need it. That is, when you decide to put in a subbie.

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
      I never bother with PI cover that's higher than the cost of the project unless it is stipulated in the contract.

You need EL because as an employee you're a separate legal entity from your company.

I tend to go with AXA or Hiscox, their rates seem to change on a monthly basis though so there's no way of telling who'll be cheaper other than getting a quote - sometimes it's cheaper to get the PL/EL together with one carrier and then the PI with another; rather than buying all 3 from the same insurer.
      Has anyone ever made claim against their own ltd co.?

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
        Has anyone ever made claim against their own ltd co.?
        I would imagine it's quite common for tradesmen.

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
          I would imagine it's quite common for tradesmen.
          Why? In what scenario?

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
            Why? In what scenario?
            Historical claims; working with asbestos, hearing loss, etc.

I guess personal injury claims too, if a sole director working as a roofer breaks their back and can't work any longer I can't imagine they'd be that bothered about claiming against their own policy.

We'll probably see a spate of claims in twenty years time from IT contractors for RSI, some with it worse than others.

Comment

Seeking wisdom of the experienced

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              OP, bearing in mind nearly every contract has insurance it would be a fair bet that this has been asked a couple of thousand times so a quick search or a tiny bit of effort to do your research I am sure would have answered your question a lot quicker than that post.
              Thanks for the suggestion. I wanted to find the quickest route to a definitive answer on all the questions I had, not each one peace meal. I was also trying to wade through the insurance quotes that I'd gathered at the time, reading pages and pages about exclusions, conditions etc (DRY), so thought the best use of my time was to seek the wisdom of the experienced and available. All being well, next time I have a question I'll feel more of an inclination to dig myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Butters View Post
                Thanks for the suggestion. I wanted to find the quickest route to a definitive answer on all the questions I had, not each one peace meal. I was also trying to wade through the insurance quotes that I'd gathered at the time, reading pages and pages about exclusions, conditions etc (DRY), so thought the best use of my time was to seek the wisdom of the experienced and available. All being well, next time I have a question I'll feel more of an inclination to dig myself.
                http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...e-newbies.html
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Try qdos shop. You can also get discounts through certain partners they work with.

Comment

Working...
                  X