• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment Letter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment Letter

I have just received a letter from HMRC asking me to complete a self assessment.

I have been a permie all my life until September. I worked for just over 2 months for a brolly, changed contracts and opened a limited, just under 2 weeks ago.

What gives? Don't I get 18 months before I have to submit my tax return?

I have send a copy to my accounted but I just wanted to ask as I am a little worried.

Thanks in advance

Are they asking for 2012/13? It may be that they think you had rental income, earned over £100,000 or were a director in that tax year. If that's not the case then you may be able to simply call them, explain, and they will cancel the request.

Forward it to your accountant though, they should be able to sort it out easily.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

You do have an accountant don't you? You pay him to look after all this kinda stuff so should really be your first port of call rather than a bunch of strangers trying to guess your situation.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also if you've claimed child benefit and earned over a certain amount you need a self assessment form.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Thanks both,

My Accountant is a she and she told me to stop panicking, it's the initall letter generated when registered for Self assessment. Although the wording leaves a lot to be desired.

Comment

Working...
          X