• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else watching the progress of the Personal Service Company Lords committee?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    From other comments made I'm not sure the powers that be actually understand what an umbrella company is
    Having listened to about an hour of the commentary, I'm not convinced that any of them, some of the experts included, really understand much of this too deeply. Admittedly, it can be harder to respond to ill-informed questions than well-posed questions.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
      Chap is suggesting that there are not enough IR35 investigations going on there should be 10 times as many!
      He's probably right - why have it and not bother enforcing it?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        That can only happen if the employers want to take them onto the payroll - isn't the exact opposite happening since the the millenium?
        Yep. Don't think it had the effect that they intended
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Having listened to about an hour of the commentary, I'm not convinced that any of them, some of the experts included, really understand much of this too deeply. Admittedly, it can be harder to respond to ill-informed questions than well-posed questions.
          I don't think the Lords have really grasped all the facts - in the last session one of them was referring to P35
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I don't think the Lords have really grasped all the facts - in the last session one of them was referring to P35
            And working through a "Public Service Company"

IMHO it's window dressing for whatever changes they're about to make.

Comment

and these people run the country ffs
              Blood in your poo

Comment

John Whiting's (of the OTS) comments from the first meeting are quite telling http://www.parliament.uk/documents/l...Ev2Whiting.pdf Their original intention, with IR35, would be that people would be forced back into the security of employment - page 7 and 8.
                That's astounding. Just goes to show they haven't a clue when it comes to contracting/freelancing.
                Blood in your poo

Comment

Haven't seen anything yet about things such as the flexible workforce the country needs or contractors being forced into non-sensible business decisions so as to appear outside IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                    Haven't seen anything yet about things such as the flexible workforce the country needs or contractors being forced into non-sensible business decisions so as to appear outside IR35.
                    Still a way to go. They have yet to talk to anyone who actually understands contracting, let alone anyone who does it for a living. When they do, a few veils may be lifted...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      He's probably right - why have it and not bother enforcing it?
                      Cost-benefit. It doesn't rake in very much directly. That's why they are selling its principal benefit as deterrence.

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                      and these people run the country ffs

Explains a lot, eh? Our elected chieftains are even worse, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X